Reptile Forums banner

Localities (Interesting subject)

912 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bladeblaster 
#1 ·
So today my copy of ''The More Complete Chondro'' arrived in the post. Since the book received high praise here I decided to spend some money and buy it.

Well the book has exceeded what I expected. It doesn't just cover the husbandry and specific facts about the animal but goes into great detail about its origins in the pet trade and how they're collected.

Needless to say the most interesting has been the section of Green Tree Pythons and their localities. Tbh it doesn't paint a great picture. that a lot of localities are claimed to be valid long before there is any real evidence to suggest so. And that animals farmed from different areas can be mislabelled because they happen to have been imported from a certain airport.

I found this greatly disturbing giving the statements made in the book that sometimes pinpointing exactly where an animal came from can be extremely difficult when the word of local collectors isn't exactly reliable.

Given that in the reptile industry new animals, morphs, breeds and what not pop up so frequently it can be daunting trying to separate what is a legit animal from something someone has invented to boost sales and increase income.

I'm not posting to scare people I just find it legitimately interesting how exotics can be classified or misclassified so easily that it will spread through the hobby so quickly with little regard to accuracy.

I must thank anyone who recommended this book to me previously. Its the most intrigued I've been in a long time.

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't think this confusion / dishonesty is limited just to Chondro's!!! I did a bit (well, quite a lot actually) of research into Dwarf Retic locales, and this is true for them also - did you know it is prohibited to collect animals of Tanahjampea (Jampea island), so animals have either been mislabeled or effectively stolen from the island... It seems areas of the pet trade operate under some what murky conditions....

#6 ·
I personally think its massively naive to think that if a product is wanted people wont find any loophole possible to get it the the market place. What is legally allowed, and what is morally correct are two totally different things.

#7 ·
I don't really have too much of a problem with exporting animals. I just don't like this 'my friend Steve says this boa I got is from the lost city of Atlantis therefore its going to cost you the virginity of your first daughter'

I think its incredibly offensive on so many levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.