Reptile Forums - View Single Post - A Description of the five scrub species and localities of amethistina
View Single Post
Old 18-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt83 View Post

Iv seen the striped nauta. Iv heard them called an "insular island" form. I didnt include them because little is known about them and striping could be an artifact of incubation. Ill include them when i see pics of loads of them in the wild
I completely agree with your point.
I know the orginal parents from Eriks in germany were from the wild. However like me he incubates them maternally and thus has less control over them. However that aside the parents were still striped.

Quote:

If you look at the tag with the pic of the young clasto it says Juvenile and not hatchling. Hatchling morelia always look very different to their final colours. The one in the pic is probably a year or so old when its colours and pattern are very bright. To be fare it is an exceptional looking clasto. Would love to have it in my collection!
I did see the tag yes, i understand what you ment aswell. Hence why i stated i personally wouldnt say its a standard looking yearling, or any age of standard moluccan. I personally would have said it was maluku island localtiy
Your more trational looking moluccans look like this

The other thing that might be worth mentioning is with regards to the change in colour of them, this ONLY becomes duller in females, males get brighter and retain there young colours due to the species being sexually dimorphic

Quote:

I thought about scale counts and more in depth write ups for the species and localities but eventualy decided against it. I wanted the thread to act as a visual guide, a quick refference if you will, so that if people saw a snake on the net or in a shop or even heard a name being discussed, they'd have a place where they can quickly look up the type of scrub it was. Technical info like scale counts might have bogged the thread down for the less nerdy herper's out there. Yes, I am a snake nerd!
I already own a copy of Barker's paper thanks. And id encourage anyone else who's seriously interested in these animals to get hold of a copy as well. He can be contacted thru his website www.vpi.com If your polite and ask nicely he may have a few copys left he could send out.
Yep i agree with you there i guess.
To be fair to see a scrub on sale in most shops is a rare sight in its own right but you want to snap it up when possible.
I am just a big fan of fine detail. Especially so with scrubs because there's so much untrue crap written up on them and they suffer terribly from undeserved reputations.