Reptile Forums banner

How to get hog noses off tuna scent

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sidewinder 
#1 ·
Hi as most of you know I have 2 Western hog noses. One eats great and one hasn't ate since I got him. The one that eats always has its pinky scented. Today I thought I'd try to give it one un-scented due to the fact I'm sick of buying tuna every 4 days for it to go to waste. The snake had very little interest, it took one bite and let go and went. So I'm wantint to know how to ween it off scented pinkys?

#3 ·
try other methods to make it more appealing like dipping it's head in boiling hot water another method thati used to get my royal onto rats from mice is to feed a small mouse and a rat afterwards a few times so they get used to it, so i suggest feeding a tiny pinky or even half a pinky scented and then another half of it )will probably need two beind heads) so half pinky scented as soon as it's done offer a another half of it unscented then the snake gets used to this and try feeding it an unscented pinky after about 5-10 feeds! :D hope this works out

Reactions: THE-COBRA
#4 ·
Why don't you put the unused tuna in an artight tub, and freeze it. It will save having to buy a new tin every time you need to feed the hoggie. Just get it out and defrost,as and when needed.

If your hog preferes it that way, at least your local shop won't think you are pregnant and have a tuna craving. So you don't have to buy it as often.

#6 ·
A tip for anyone with problems feeding hoggies of any size:-

Try using cod liver oil capsules for scenting. I've used them in the past for problem feeders but this year I've used them for hatchlings and have all but 1 feeding.

Put the pinkies in a food bag, burst the cod liver oil capsule into the bag and give them a gentle rub so they are all coated, Place the bag in a bowl of hot water to thaw and warm then feed. Once the hoggies are feeding I burst the capsule into a small container and dip a warmed pinkie into it up to around half way, next feed reduce the amount of pinkie dipped in the scent. Each feed reduce the amount of pinkie dipped until just the nose tip is scented. After a few feeds hoggie should take unscented.

#7 ·
Get the tuna, drain the water, use the water to scent the pinkies, and then eat the tuna, or give it to a cat or something. aslong as it's not going in the bin :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.