Darts group size? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 24-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Darts group size?

Hi so I've kept reptiles for a number of years and im going to take the leap into Amphibians, in particular Darts (Dendrobates azureus) I want a fairly large set up and think Il be getting one of the 90cm long Exo Terras.
How many darts would be a good group size for this tank? Also if I could get a ideal male to female ratio that would be great.
This will also be my first live planted terrarium so I'm sure il be back soon asking for more advice haha :P
Thanks in advance,
Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Premier Citizen

Hi Stuart.
If your going for Azureus which is a Tinc the best amount to keep if you don`t want any hassle is 2. If you go for more than that make it 2 males and one female.
More than one female can lead to fighting and probably dead frogs so a pair would be just so much easier.
Rather than buying an exo terra consider getting a proper custom made viv from Dale at DMS Vivaria. He can also deliver for a small fee.
DMS Vivaria - Amphibian vivaria or if you prefer you can get him here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1482757085274942/
His vivs are made for the job and need no modifications before putting frogs in, other than building backgrounds etc.
Exo terras need several modifications before being deemed suitable, and even then they`re just not up to the job.
A nice size viv for a pair of Tincs would be 60x50x50 and give you lots of scope for landscaping.

Mike
Dart Frog Viv Capacity

Pumilio "Salt Creek" Sold.
D. Tinc Citronella Sold.
D. Tinc Regina Sold.
D. Tinc Leucomelas Available Soon.

Last edited by frogman955; 24-05-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Old 24-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Forum Citizen

Great reply, thanks
I didn't realise the Exo Terras would need to be modified. Il more than likely use the link you suggested, had a quick look and the prices look very reasonable. But just so I know what I'm buying could you let me know what the difference is between them and the Exo Terra? (What makes the Exo Terra unsuitable)

If I choose to go for 3 darts 2 male 1 female then there shouldn't be any fighting right? Also would I need to worry about them breeding or would that require specific conditions ect?
Cheers
Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Premier Citizen

Hi Stuart.
The most common way to start is buy 3 froglets and see what you end up with when they mature at 12-15 months.
I have had males fight not just females, it`s the luck of the draw.
I now keep my Tincs in pairs as it is so much easier.
If conditions in the viv are right they will normally breed with no bother.
The fun or difficulty is in the rearing of the tads/froglets, but for Tinc tads it isn`t all that hard to do.
Exo terra vivs leak flies like a sieve leaks water.
Many of them have bad fitting doors so gaps need sealed, they also get out of the vents.
The mesh on the lid is not stainless steel so rusts in no time so most people take it out and replace with glass to increase humidity and then put in a narrow strip of proper stainless mesh for ventilation.
In comparison the ENT style vivs that Dale supplies need no mods as they are made ready to use.
He makes 2 types, one with a false bottom which allows water to drain into a front gully for easier removal, or you can have one without where you will have to build up the substrate using a layer of hydro leca for drainage covered by fine mesh with substrate on top.
There is a new purpose made substrate out now to make life easier called Arcadia Earth Mix.

Mike
Liam Clark likes this.
Dart Frog Viv Capacity

Pumilio "Salt Creek" Sold.
D. Tinc Citronella Sold.
D. Tinc Regina Sold.
D. Tinc Leucomelas Available Soon.

Old 25-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for all that great info. After hearing the issues for Exo Terras il definitely get one from Dale instead. Now that you said it makes sense I remember when I had my crested gecko in a exo terra and the mesh lid went rusty then too.
I'm going to start researching the live plant side of things then il hopefully start buying all the stuff
Thanks again, much appreciated
Stuart
frogman955 likes this.