My Amphibians. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 05-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Postaholic Member

Wax worm treats.

https://youtu.be/z58n7d-ALxs
richardhind likes this.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Banned

Did a crafty sweep of Google, yesterday, Basin ..... Ye dead right, mate. They're rocking horse, at the moment, aren't they?

When I had them they'd go for like £15.00. And they were hardly throwing themselves off the shelves then either.

Now? I was seeing prices like Sold, at £50.00 to £70.00 a pop! Jesus wept!!! Never noticed " Captive Bred " anywhere either.

If those things bred anything like as easily as Fire's? I'd get a pair, at any cost, and clear up!
Basin79 likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Hatchling

Is there a reptile shop near you that does the trips to reptile expos? Mine usually brings back all sorts and can get pretty much anything in, in fact I think a lot of the oddball stuff is just them doing table sweeps on the last day! There's also some on Preloved at £75 a pop which is a bit mental, I think I paid £20 for mine back in the day and was a bit gutted it wasn't as colourful as I expected!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Is there a reptile shop near you that does the trips to reptile expos?
You addressing me, there, Hogg? If so, mate, I gotta tell ye; We have ONE 'expo' here. And that's in Waterford. I'm in Leitrim. Hundreds of miles apart.

Pet shops? Nearest shops, I'm aware of, offering live amphibs? Dublin. And, I'm sorry; I'm not paying a €200.00 taxi fare there, just to be judged, on the spot, by a couple young enough to be my grandchildren, whether I'm 'suitable' to be sold their bought in gear!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Snappo View Post
Did a crafty sweep of Google, yesterday, Basin ..... Ye dead right, mate. They're rocking horse, at the moment, aren't they?

When I had them they'd go for like £15.00. And they were hardly throwing themselves off the shelves then either.

Now? I was seeing prices like Sold, at £50.00 to £70.00 a pop! Jesus wept!!! Never noticed " Captive Bred " anywhere either.

If those things bred anything like as easily as Fire's? I'd get a pair, at any cost, and clear up!
Aye, they don't come up often. Preloved had a few but they're always down south and getting a courier sorted is next to impossible as they're always booked up until the following month.

Supposedly they aren't so easy to breed in captivity. If they where I think they'd be a lot more popular.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Banned

When I had mine, I read up on their breeding ~ in Books this was! Imagine! ~ and the upshot was that they'd about need a chest freezer to do it in!

I mean; When ye consider I bred my Fire's in a little tank I made, a foot square and bisected between land and water ....? Then, the received wisdom is that Tigers want a bloody swimming pool!

Saying that? I was in a rented flatlet, at the time. Now? If I could get my hands on the stock? I'd give them their swimming pool!
Basin79 likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
When I had mine, I read up on their breeding ~ in Books this was! Imagine! ~ and the upshot was that they'd about need a chest freezer to do it in!

I mean; When ye consider I bred my Fire's in a little tank I made, a foot square and bisected between land and water ....? Then, the received wisdom is that Tigers want a bloody swimming pool!

Saying that? I was in a rented flatlet, at the time. Now? If I could get my hands on the stock? I'd give them their swimming pool!
I'd have thought it was more complicated than just providing them with a decent body of water? If you have the space that's easy. Still don't see any CB's here.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Banned

I think having that space is half the problem, to be honest. I went from breeding stuff on the table in my living room, to a dedicated room with tanks all round the walls. Still never had a set up of the size said to be needed though. Not even close.

Now, ironically, I could easily lose a chest freezer in a corner of my stables. But, no way am I going to access the initial stock. I can't bloody win!

Then, I guess, there's the simple fact that Tigers are such wonderful creatures, most people ~ like yeself ~ are just delighted to have one, and leave it at that.

Wretched situation though. They're quite probably The Best salamander out there. So, they're understandably wildly popular. So, people will pay through the nose to get one. And that encourages the men with the nets to keep taking them from the wild.

If even one person would crack the genome and start pumping out CB ones, the price could come down and the wild stocks be left alone. But, we have this bloody see saw effect, don't we? Breeding them would prove extremely lucrative, initially. But, the initial outlay to even attempt it would be hectic for most people.

Having said all that? Some kiddie managed, by default, to breed his. Wonder what happened there? Perhaps he couldn't manage to rear them?

Any venture capitalists out there want to sort me out a pair, or three? Fund me a Stock Drinker to put them in? I'll give it a go!
Basin79 likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I think having that space is half the problem, to be honest. I went from breeding stuff on the table in my living room, to a dedicated room with tanks all round the walls. Still never had a set up of the size said to be needed though. Not even close.

Now, ironically, I could easily lose a chest freezer in a corner of my stables. But, no way am I going to access the initial stock. I can't bloody win!

Then, I guess, there's the simple fact that Tigers are such wonderful creatures, most people ~ like yeself ~ are just delighted to have one, and leave it at that.

Wretched situation though. They're quite probably The Best salamander out there. So, they're understandably wildly popular. So, people will pay through the nose to get one. And that encourages the men with the nets to keep taking them from the wild.

If even one person would crack the genome and start pumping out CB ones, the price could come down and the wild stocks be left alone. But, we have this bloody see saw effect, don't we? Breeding them would prove extremely lucrative, initially. But, the initial outlay to even attempt it would be hectic for most people.

Having said all that? Some kiddie managed, by default, to breed his. Wonder what happened there? Perhaps he couldn't manage to rear them?

Any venture capitalists out there want to sort me out a pair, or three? Fund me a Stock Drinker to put them in? I'll give it a go!
Aye. They're like the predatory beetles. Hugely popular but breeding them indoors is hard work. If these would breed like other amphibians I'm sure they'd be more popular than White's tree frogs.

Just fed Stheno after she came out of hiding after hearing me in the animal room.

el Snappo likes this.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Just fed Stheno after she came out of hiding after hearing me in the animal room.

That just sums them up, doesn't it? They're like little Dogs!

Not that I'm envious of you having got Stheno, of course

No. I always turn Green around this time of day!

Actually, now that I think about it? There is (was?) some bloke breeding the skin off these things. Somewhere on the Continent. Forget where, now. Wonder why he's not alleviating the strain?

Then again, we have a guy here, in Eire, breeding Snapper turtles on an industrial scale. But, he's asking like €300.00 for them! Five hour taxi journey, up north, was much cheaper, for me!

I have a project in mind, yet. I'm quietly, Relentlessly, grinding away at what will probably be my swan song project. I'll get there. Or die ~ of old age! ~ trying!
Basin79 likes this.