Injured Toad Advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 17-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Egg
Default Injured Toad Advice

Hello everyone,

A few hours ago, I was out digging in my yard for yardwork. We spotted a toad that looked healthy at first, but when I picked it up to relocate it, I found both its back legs are significantly damaged. It still moves fairly well and its main body/vital organ area all look perfectly fine.

So my question is, even if I have to keep it as a pet due to potential loss of both legs, does this toad stand a chance of survival? I'm most concerned about how to care for the wounds. I don't have any animal medicines and it's muscles and possibly bones are exposed as well. I think it would likely require surgery but cant afford vet bills for a wild toad.

Can anyone recommend any antibiotics that are good for amphibians and hopefully easy to find so I can treat the toad as soon as possible? Is blood loss a serious concern for amphibian limbs? Should I keep it in a small container to limit its movement or get a small tank? To avoid further risk of infection, I saw some info online recommending using damp papers towels soaked in water treated for aquatic animals and changing it regularly. Is this a good solution?

I used to take care of small critters when I was younger like frogs and salamanders I found near rivers so I have some knowledge about basic care, but I've never had to care for one with such severe injuries so I'm hoping for some more experienced advice.

I'll upload some pictures. They aren't the best quality because I wanted to avoid stressing the animal any further. I tried to gently rinse it with tap water and the damp paper towel I have it on now is turning a bit pink so I'm worried it's losing blood.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Are you in the UK?
Old 17-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Egg

I'm sorry, I'm not. I live in the United States. I didn't even notice this was a UK website. I've never had to go to outside help for something like this and just started posting on the first sites that popped up for amphibian care! I'll take down my post (if possible) if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-2019, 07:32 PM

No, not a problems.

In the UK, Veterinary Practices treat wildlife for free. I was going to suggest taking it to your nearest one as there will be no quality of life, and probably letting them do the inevitable.
Old 20-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Ultra Citizen

If you can take him to a wildlife vets then I would! If not the only thing you can do if knock him on the head if you can stomach it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
amphibian , care , frog , injury , toad