Heating my tank (help please) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 18-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Egg
Default Heating my tank (help please)

So I recently purchased a 90x45x90 tank for my whites tree frogs.

I've now done my first wave of planting, have my water feature in and its just little bits and bobs left.

Before I put my frogs in I wanted to first make sure I could first get a handle on the temperatures in the tank.

I have 2 heat mats under the tank which so far I honestly cant tell if there making much of a difference, the one on the side of the tank how ever is the one I'm worrying about, I have a stay on all of them and the one on the side heat mat is digital.
So my read out is about 29c at the moment, but when I touch the inside of the glass it feels very hot. Is this normal?
I was hoping to put my whites in at the weekend and so far I'm worried that the side heat mat may burn them, or is that just me being paranoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conlington View Post
So I recently purchased a 90x45x90 tank for my whites tree frogs.

I've now done my first wave of planting, have my water feature in and its just little bits and bobs left.

Before I put my frogs in I wanted to first make sure I could first get a handle on the temperatures in the tank.

I have 2 heat mats under the tank which so far I honestly cant tell if there making much of a difference, the one on the side of the tank how ever is the one I'm worrying about, I have a stay on all of them and the one on the side heat mat is digital.
So my read out is about 29c at the moment, but when I touch the inside of the glass it feels very hot. Is this normal?
I was hoping to put my whites in at the weekend and so far I'm worried that the side heat mat may burn them, or is that just me being paranoid?
The heat mat on the bottom won't be heating the tank as all the substrate will blocking it. Lucky it's an Exo that is raised otherwise your tank would have cracked. Thermal blocking is dangerous.

The glass shouldn't feel hot to the touch just warm. Where have you got the stat probe? Obviously if stat is set to say 27c but the probe is no where near the mat the mat itself will get much warmer.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 18-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Egg

Okay, so I'll turn off the heat mats under the tank off. The prob is literally stuck to the glass in front of the heat mat. I've been regularly checking to make sure that the probe is properly placed. The digital start has stayed at 29c but the glass feels hotter than that, or is 29 to touch warmer than you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Okay, so I'll turn off the heat mats under the tank off. The prob is literally stuck to the glass in front of the heat mat. I've been regularly checking to make sure that the probe is properly placed. The digital start has stayed at 29c but the glass feels hotter than that, or is 29 to touch warmer than you think?
There's something definitely a miss if the probe is stuck to the glass where the mat is as that's how I have mine. Is the mat where the probe is actually touching the glass in that spot?

The only thing I can suggest is you buy a temp gun (think they're around a tenner on Amazon) and then turn your stat down until the mat is at the correct temperature. Or use another stat if you've got any spare.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 18-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Egg

I'm thinking of switching to my old stat, my current ones digital, (I got it in the hope that it might help with temps) but it's probably best to switch out to my old one and try it and see if the temps are better with that, thank you for your help, also while your here, why kind of numbers should I be looking at for my clean crew? Was gonna get some springtails and woodlice, but not sure of numbers.
Old 18-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of switching to my old stat, my current ones digital, (I got it in the hope that it might help with temps) but it's probably best to switch out to my old one and try it and see if the temps are better with that, thank you for your help, also while your here, why kind of numbers should I be looking at for my clean crew? Was gonna get some springtails and woodlice, but not sure of numbers.
I don't know regarding clean up crew beyond getting springtails as that's all I have. There are lots of tropical woodlice species though so you'll not struggle finding any. Whether your frogs eat them though is another matter.