Advice for African Bullfrog Heating requirements - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 14-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Egg
Exclamation Advice for African Bullfrog Heating requirements

I've recently bought a juvenile Bullfrog (4 days ago) & I thought i'd get ahead of the game & get the big enclosure now as i'll need it in the future. its the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Medium/Low
60 x 45 x 30 cm / 24” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH) for reference.

I've got two heat mats regulated by a thermostat (one on the bottom & one on the side) & a day/night time heat bulb (60W). I don't want these to emit to much heat as where the bullfrogs located doesn't get much light. I'm wondering whats the best way to add the extra temperature The little guy needs, I've been thinking about getting two ceramic heat lamps (150 & 100w). Just wondering what everyone else does as I really want to get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Postaholic Member

When I had mine I had a heat mat under his washing up bowl (water dish) and a mat along the back wall. Both connected to a stat of course. Don't use a heat mat under the substrate though. With needing to have a lot of sub the heat won't be able to dissipate and you'll get thermal blocking.

I wouldn't use heating bulbs personally as they'll dry the air out a lot.

Insulating the sides and back makes a MASSIVE difference too as glass just let's the heat out.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 14-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
When I had mine I had a heat mat under his washing up bowl (water dish) and a mat along the back wall. Both connected to a stat of course. Don't use a heat mat under the substrate though. With needing to have a lot of sub the heat won't be able to dissipate and you'll get thermal blocking.

I wouldn't use heating bulbs personally as they'll dry the air out a lot.

Insulating the sides and back makes a MASSIVE difference too as glass just let's the heat out.
Thanks! Do they prefer to bathe in warm water then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog Bobby View Post
Thanks! Do they prefer to bathe in warm water then?
Yes. Mine spent the majority of the time in his washing up bowl.

A quick tip. Use 2 water bowls. 1 inside the other. That way you can take the top 1 out to clean and refill with fresh treated water and the other bowl stops the sub caving in. You then just slide the water dish back inside the other 1.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 14-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Yes. Mine spent the majority of the time in his washing up bowl.

A quick tip. Use 2 water bowls. 1 inside the other. That way you can take the top 1 out to clean and refill with fresh treated water and the other bowl stops the sub caving in. You then just slide the water dish back inside the other 1.
I've place the mat that's underneath on the back & the temperature is already going up. Thanks a lot for the advice!

What temp / humidity did you keep it at? I'm seeing a few different answers on the web, apparently the humidity need to be between 50 - 80% but that's very vague.
Old 14-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog Bobby View Post
I've place the mat that's underneath on the back & the temperature is already going up. Thanks a lot for the advice!

What temp / humidity did you keep it at? I'm seeing a few different answers on the web, apparently the humidity need to be between 50 - 80% but that's very vague.
I just madd sure the sub was damp and the water dish was full regarding humidity. I can't remember what temp I kept Rancor at. Air temp would have been 27c down to 20c though I'd imagine.

Old 14-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Egg

Thanks!
Basin79 likes this.

Tags
african , african bullfrog , bullfrog , frog , frog care