Dart frog vivarium problems - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 AM
Regular
Default Dart frog vivarium problems

Being a complete idiot, when i got my first dart frog vivarium which was only in mid august, i made some stupid mistakes, i now have a tank that contains dendrobates leucomelas (3 unsexed) and a bunch of slugs and white worm like creatures ( i think nemotodes) and my springtails and woodlice that i seeded havent benen spotted in quite i while so i think they died out somehow. i am going to completely replace all substrate and re seed the spingtails and woodlice and completely clean off the plants, this isnt the best scenario but i see it as necessary as plants are being eaten by slugs and the tank isnt bioactive anymore, if any has any other suggestions that would be helpful.

I also do not own another vivarium so not sure where to place the frogs while i tear apart their tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Ultra Citizen

Youíre going to need to take plants out, bleach dip them, and co2 them if needed. Substrate yes bin and replace. Nematodes will be eating springtails thatís why you have none now. Do you have a background? And any hard scape wood/rocks? Because if yes then youíre going to need to boil or bake in Oven. And with background if one, replace or completely dry out. (If foam) Steam and dry out etc.
Decent size tub for frogs, with some moss and leaf litter when doing this will be fine

Owners of darts also and had same problem in the past!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 01:28 AM
Regular

thanks so much for the quick reply, i plan to do this very soon. i also have to ask. i only have an exo terra terrarium and although this question is unrelated to the thread, how would i add levels despite only being a foam insert background rather than a bio active type background, this is just kinda for aesthetics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 01:38 AM
Ultra Citizen

Wouldnít use the foam background, would do a bio one. We do expanding foam, with gorilla glue then stick substrate on back. You can also use tree fern/tree fern panels. Then attach wood for levels, either in expanding foam or with silicone if fern. Also bromeliads are great as create a natural canopy. Our Leucs enjoy sitting in them and climbing
Can add some images of our leucs vivarium and other dart ones if wanted?

Old 05-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Ultra Citizen

Largest vivarium is our Leuc one. Others are for our other frogs
Gives you an idea!

dps51 likes this.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:19 AM
Regular

i am now planning on doing this but as i already have my frogs it is going to be difficult to keep them elsewhere? or while a plastic bin with lid be ok? also sorry for the annoying questions but for my new substrate i plan to use arcadia earthmix then sphagnum moss and orhcid bark, does this sound ok?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:20 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenfluff1 View Post
i am now planning on doing this but as i already have my frogs it is going to be difficult to keep them elsewhere? or while a plastic bin with lid be ok? also sorry for the annoying questions but for my new substrate i plan to use arcadia earthmix then sphagnum moss and orhcid bark, does this sound ok?

Yes as long as holes on bin, with leaf litter and moss frogs will be fine, and yes thatís great for substrate

Old 05-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Regular

again, sorry for going on and on but will this substrate need charcoal or fine w ith just earthmix from arcadia and fine bark chips
Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultra Citizen

Youíre not going on, happy to help!
We use it but you donít have to. Itís entirely up to you, but the springtails do love it! And it stops any smells

Old 05-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Regular

yea i may add this, how big should the lumps of it be?

Tags
dart frog