Reed frog advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 10-01-2020, 09:42 PM
Egg
Default Reed frog advice

Hi everyone, I am new here and looking for advice.

I am currently building a paludarium for reed frogs in an Exo-Terra 90x90x45. In terms of looks, behaviour and habitat these are definitely the frogs I would like.

My main concern is the noise as they will be housed in a spare room opposite mine and the wifeís bedroom. Does anyone have any first hand experience of the noise they make in terms of volume or if any particular species is quieter than another?
Some care articles donít mention the noise as an issue but forums often say they are deafening! I am struggling to find anything more definitive than ďsome species are louder than othersĒ without ever naming them.

I would be planning on keeping about 10 so I guess the question is will there all night calling be enough to carry through 2 doors keep us both awake and lead to a divorce!

Any advice greatly appreciated; the more detailed the better!

Thanks

Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Egg

I keep hyperolius marmoratus. When the males start calling they are very loud indeed.

When you get multiples calling it can be eardrum killing. Mine are kept in our living room and can be heard all over the house and some distance into the garden. Thankfully it only lasts a few hours each night for a number of weeks then they shut up for a while before piping up again.

They are fascinating little frogs though. In fact I would like to find more to strengthen the genetic pool.
Old 22-01-2020, 11:49 PM
Egg

Thanks for the reply

Thatís not the news I was wanted to hear! This is a shame as these frogs are ideal in every aspect for my set up when Iíve compared them to other tree frogs and darts.

I donít Want to take the risk of buying them only to have to return them because of the noise.

Do they call during the evening or is it during the night? If they call while we are awake it wonít really matter.

Would you say it would be feasible to buy multiple females and only keep 1 or 2 males to help reduce the calling? Finding a supplier who can accurately provide the right amount of sexed frogs may be a challenge also?

And final noise question (I promise!) is it an intermittent or incessant call?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Swah View Post
Thanks for the reply[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]

That’s not the news I was wanted to hear! This is a shame as these frogs are ideal in every aspect for my set up when I’ve compared them to other tree frogs and darts.

I don’t Want to take the risk of buying them only to have to return them because of the noise.

Do they call during the evening or is it during the night? If they call while we are awake it won’t really matter.

Would you say it would be feasible to buy multiple females and only keep 1 or 2 males to help reduce the calling? Finding a supplier who can accurately provide the right amount of sexed frogs may be a challenge also?

And final noise question (I promise!) is it an intermittent or incessant call?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your answers.
I'm interested in knowing where you might be getting them as I am after some more as well 🙂 They are cool little frogs but not seen as often as other species.

When they call it's normally in incessant chirp albeit very loud. You will start to hear the males from around the time food appears in the enclosure or almost as soon as the lights go off. So evening until about midnight I find.

It's better to have more than one calling male in the group though as one from my experience doesn't get much interest from the females but is equally as gobby. They do really well in groups but not as easy to sex as some information suggests.

Hope that helps
Old Today, 12:11 AM
Egg

I think I might take the plunge and try and avoid painted reed frogs as it seems like they may be the loudest.

To answer your question about where I am obtaining them from. I have no idea yet. I am on mailing lists for a few dealers to alert me when any come in stock.

I fancy Starry night reed frogs but have only seen them advertised in the US. I will keep you posted if I find any👍

Tags
reed frogs