Pacman frog not eating. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
I have a Pacman in a plastic Ferplast hamster tank. He has the mat at one end, directly under the tank with the stat probe touching the bottom of the tank. He eats whatever runs past his nose.
Thank you 🙂 I've ordered a plastic exo terra breeding box. I've got a 11inch 14w mat. So would probably have to put it under the plastic tank to one side. Don't see how I could properly attach it to the side of the smaller tank safely. At least off to one side he has a cool side to the substrate to burrow and cool down.
Seems to be very split feelings on whether you can or can't put them underneath where ever I read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1993 View Post
Thank you 🙂 I've ordered a plastic exo terra breeding box. I've got a 11inch 14w mat. So would probably have to put it under the plastic tank to one side. Don't see how I could properly attach it to the side of the smaller tank safely. At least off to one side he has a cool side to the substrate to burrow and cool down.
Seems to be very split feelings on whether you can or can't put them underneath where ever I read.
It's ok under just one end. On the side, it won't provide heat properly as the heat will rise & not heat the tank. On the bottom the frog can go on & off it as he thermoregulates.
Old 13-10-2020, 01:54 PM
Egg

So today after still not seeing him eat and after taking all your advice ive plopped mr nib nibs into a smaller house.
Will be keeping an eye on him 🙂 p.s thats only a 5.0 repti sun for uvb as he's now tucked away in a bit of a dark spot. Gives off near enough no heat.
Thanks again! Will keep you updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Pacman frog not eating.-20201013_125129_1602589979449.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2020, 01:32 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1993 View Post
So today after still not seeing him eat and after taking all your advice ive plopped mr nib nibs into a smaller house.
Will be keeping an eye on him 🙂 p.s thats only a 5.0 repti sun for uvb as he's now tucked away in a bit of a dark spot. Gives off near enough no heat.
Thanks again! Will keep you updated.
I dont believe that Ceratophrys need uv. More importantly is a heat source.
Mats do not warm the air, so unless in a warm room., it won't help much. They should also never be used with a deep substrate as this leads to thermal blocking which can in turn cause the mat to overheat.
I suspect that the overall ambient temperature is just too low. Why not replace that uv bulb with a spot lamp, low wattage, to actually warm the air.
Old 18-10-2020, 01:24 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I dont believe that Ceratophrys need uv. More importantly is a heat source.
Mats do not warm the air, so unless in a warm room., it won't help much. They should also never be used with a deep substrate as this leads to thermal blocking which can in turn cause the mat to overheat.
I suspect that the overall ambient temperature is just too low. Why not replace that uv bulb with a spot lamp, low wattage, to actually warm the air.
My pacman is on a mat under a quarter of his tank. The mat is under 1" of substrate, the rest of the floor is under 2" of substrate. He goes on the mat when he wants to. & he feeds all the time.