Pacman frog not eating. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 PM
Egg
Default Pacman frog not eating.

Good afternoon all.
I'm a new member.
On the 3rd of October I purchased a pacman from from my local reptile store, I have his tank (which is a 12x12x12 glass exo terra) ranging between 24 and 29.c, humidity is in the high 80s, im using coco husk and sphagnum moss, making sure the water is dechlorinated before being put in the tank.
However after 6 days of ownership I've not seen him (mr. Nib nibs) eat. He's only a juvenile, but I've read they should eat daily ideally, if not 3 or 4 times a week.
I've not seen any poo in the tank yet either.
I'm tried small locusts hoppers, as that's what he was fed in the shop as well as a chopped piece of thawed pinky. I've also tried crickets and worms all dusted.. I've tried hand feeding and just plopping the food infront of him, I've tried tong feeding.
I've tried putting him in a separate container to eat as the one he was in before was much smaller and more simple than his new one.
I'm wondering if he's just still getting settled, I do feel like I'm fussing him but im worried. I also wonder if he's impacted as he seems very small to be eating pinky mice. Finally he was getting quite a lot of sunlight from the large windows in the shop he came from, and although my room has sunlight coming in I wonder if its disproportionate to what he's used to.
Any ideas please help mr nib nibs.

Thank you.

Joseph.
Attached Thumbnails
Pacman frog not eating.-img-20201009-wa0004_1602259053560.jpeg  

Pacman frog not eating.-20201009_162848_1602259062821.jpg  

Pacman frog not eating.-20201009_152017_1602259077375.jpg  

Pacman frog not eating.-20201009_152012_1602259097939.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 11:40 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1993 View Post
Good afternoon all.
I'm a new member.
On the 3rd of October I purchased a pacman from from my local reptile store, I have his tank (which is a 12x12x12 glass exo terra) ranging between 24 and 29.c, humidity is in the high 80s, im using coco husk and sphagnum moss, making sure the water is dechlorinated before being put in the tank.
However after 6 days of ownership I've not seen him (mr. Nib nibs) eat. He's only a juvenile, but I've read they should eat daily ideally, if not 3 or 4 times a week.
I've not seen any poo in the tank yet either.
I'm tried small locusts hoppers, as that's what he was fed in the shop as well as a chopped piece of thawed pinky. I've also tried crickets and worms all dusted.. I've tried hand feeding and just plopping the food infront of him, I've tried tong feeding.
I've tried putting him in a separate container to eat as the one he was in before was much smaller and more simple than his new one.
I'm wondering if he's just still getting settled, I do feel like I'm fussing him but im worried. I also wonder if he's impacted as he seems very small to be eating pinky mice. Finally he was getting quite a lot of sunlight from the large windows in the shop he came from, and although my room has sunlight coming in I wonder if its disproportionate to what he's used to.
Any ideas please help mr nib nibs.

Thank you.

Joseph.
At that size they should be eating a lot. Enclosure is huge for a frog that size. How are you measuring temps? Not being warm enough is usually the reason they don't eat.

Put the little one is a smaller enclosure. Take out the moss. Damp substrate (your sub looks dry) and a shallow water dish.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Egg

I'm running the mat on a thermostat, also have the zoo med combo digital thermometer and hygrometer to monitor temperature. I dont have a smaller enclosure to put him in at the minute, can you recommend something thats the right size for him? Thank you! 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I'm running the mat on a thermostat, also have the zoo med combo digital thermometer and hygrometer to monitor temperature. I dont have a smaller enclosure to put him in at the minute, can you recommend something thats the right size for him? Thank you! 🙂
Where is the heat mat placed? Not UNDER the enclosure I hope.

Literally any plastic tub and put ventilation holes in. Then damp substrate and a shallow water dish.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Quote:

Where is the heat mat placed? Not UNDER the enclosure I hope.

Literally any plastic tub and put ventilation holes in. Then damp substrate and a shallow water dish.
Its on the side. Ambient air temperature has dropped quite a bit in recent weeks .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/12x12x20cm-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
This any good?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Its on the side. Ambient air temperature has dropped quite a bit in recent weeks .
This any good?
Cover the outside with insulation. I use foil backed insulation board but polystyrene even a few layers of paper will help.

Literally just a cheap plastic tub. Can be £2. It's only temp as they grow quick when they're warm and eating.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Egg

Quote:
Quote:
This any good?
Cover the outside with insulation. I use foil backed insulation board but polystyrene even a few layers of paper will help.

Literally just a cheap plastic tub. Can be £2. It's only temp as they grow quick when they're warm and eating.
I've just moved his terrarium into a small wooden cabinet, with foam and bubble wrap to insulate all the sides, the heat mat has been backed onto a cork board and stuck to the wall of the cupboard, with about a 10mm gap to the glass.
Even bubble wrapped and foamed underneath.
Hoping this keeps the heat in better.
I've order a small plastic feeder which I'll do similar with when it arrives and keep him in that until he's big enough to go back into this tank. Thank you! I appreciate all your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Pacman frog not eating.-20201010_171803_1602347006474.jpg  

Old 10-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I've just moved his terrarium into a small wooden cabinet, with foam and bubble wrap to insulate all the sides, the heat mat has been backed onto a cork board and stuck to the wall of the cupboard, with about a 10mm gap to the glass.
I've order a small plastic feeder which I'll do similar with when it arrives and keep him in that until he's big enough to go back into this tank. Thank you! I appreciate all your advice.
You need the mat to be touching the glass. A 10mm gap will not allow enough heat through.
wilkinss77 likes this.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Egg

Quote:
Quote:
You need the mat to be touching the glass. A 10mm gap will not allow enough heat through.
Thanks. I'll get on it now. 👌
Old 10-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Posting Deity

I have a Pacman in a plastic Ferplast hamster tank. He has the mat at one end, directly under the tank with the stat probe touching the bottom of the tank. He eats whatever runs past his nose.