Air circulation advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Premier Citizen
Arrow Air circulation advice

I want 2 fans for my new tank, 1 which sucks air out and one that blows fresh air into the viv just wondering how effective it would be? Would the 2nd fan suck the fresh air out right away? As i'll have to mist the plants I want a nice gentle circulation of air flowing through the terrarium to keep the humidty down and the air fresh so that my frogs don't develop any problems that can be caused by stagnant air and too high humidity when i move them in in a couple of months.

0.3.0 - Sugar Gliders (Grey, White Faced & Leu)
0.1.0 - Red Dalmatian Crested Gecko | 1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Posting Deity

Exos have a lot of ventilation already. The heat from the lights should draw air upwards and out, whilst the vent at the front should allow fresh air in.
Old 22-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Premier Citizen

yes i know but the tanks don't have a fresh air smell to them so i want that added extra. Should i just have one sucking air out? I was thinking of getting the lucky reptile terra fan set but then i read it gets noisy, and i saw the habistat fan but its expensive at 20 each and i'd want 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

I went to pc world bought 2 small pc fans and placed them on top of the vents on the lids of my 2 exo's. Ive got them sucking the air out, as morgan says theres a vent on the front so no need for 2 sucking and blowing.
I plugged them into a phone charger and they run so quiet you can barely hear them, and the glass stays free of condensation. If i turn them the other way it blows warm air into the tanks from the hood which is great in colder weather. The charger i am using is under powered for the fans so they are running at about half speed. You can just about feel the flow if you put you hand next to the fan, so its nice and gentle, not a typhoon

Cost me about a tenner and works a treat.
Old 22-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andie View Post
I went to pc world bought 2 small pc fans and placed them on top of the vents on the lids of my 2 exo's. Ive got them sucking the air out, as morgan says theres a vent on the front so no need for 2 sucking and blowing.
I plugged them into a phone charger and they run so quiet you can barely hear them, and the glass stays free of condensation. If i turn them the other way it blows warm air into the tanks from the hood which is great in colder weather. The charger i am using is under powered for the fans so they are running at about half speed. You can just about feel the flow if you put you hand next to the fan, so its nice and gentle, not a typhoon

Cost me about a tenner and works a treat.
haha Typhoon no i don't want that, just a gentle breeze. Thanks for the idea!

Old 22-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

I have three lucky reptile fans @17.09 from reptilekeeping.co.uk
They are all 100% silent.....even when I use extra fans..so maybe its how you place them in??
I just place them ontop of the steel mesh - one on each opposite side.
If it does touch the sides they do rattle...but a gentle re-adjustment and its silent......
Old 22-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearnandos View Post
I have three lucky reptile fans @17.09 from reptilekeeping.co.uk
They are all 100% silent.....even when I use extra fans..so maybe its how you place them in??
I just place them ontop of the steel mesh - one on each opposite side.
If it does touch the sides they do rattle...but a gentle re-adjustment and its silent......
oh ok, i ordered 2 of the habistat mini fans gonna see how they work if i don't like em i'll just send them back.

Old 22-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Citizen

If your handy with a soldering iron and want to do this on the cheap...

Buy some small PC case fans (make sure they are 12v). I found some tiny ones that are only 5cm accross at maplins. (around 5)

Find a AC/DC charger that reduces the voltage to 12v. Ive used radio chargers, phone chargers and the like. im sure almost everyone has at least one kicking around. Make sure on the label it says it reduces to 12v...

Cut the end of the charger and cut the ends off the fan. Expose the wire cores and twist corresponding wires together completing the circuit. Check the fans are rotating the right way. If they arnt, simply switch the wires around as the DC is going in the wrong terminal.

You can wire in more than one fan in PARALLEL to the charger as the wattage is far below the chargers output.
Once its working, solder the wires together and wrap in electrical tape... there you go! a set of working fans!

This also works for the LED strips you can get off ebay, again just make sure they are 12v...

Saves a bundle on the overpriced fans from reptile suppliers (which are just rebranded PC case fans)

[Edit - just read post above saying smiliar thing! ignore me! ]

Last edited by HalcyonInverts; 22-02-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Old 22-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonInverts View Post
If your handy with a soldering iron and want to do this on the cheap...

Buy some small PC case fans (make sure they are 12v). I found some tiny ones that are only 5cm accross at maplins. (around 5)

Find a AC/DC charger that reduces the voltage to 12v. Ive used radio chargers, phone chargers and the like. im sure almost everyone has at least one kicking around. Make sure on the label it says it reduces to 12v...

Cut the end of the charger and cut the ends off the fan. Expose the wire cores and twist corresponding wires together completing the circuit. Check the fans are rotating the right way. If they arnt, simply switch the wires around as the DC is going in the wrong terminal.

You can wire in more than one fan in PARALLEL to the charger as the wattage is far below the chargers output.
Once its working, solder the wires together and wrap in electrical tape... there you go! a set of working fans!

This also works for the LED strips you can get off ebay, again just make sure they are 12v...

Saves a bundle on the overpriced fans from reptile suppliers (which are just rebranded PC case fans)

[Edit - just read post above saying smiliar thing! ignore me! ]
I did this earlier on.
Works a dream.