Air circulation advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
andaroo's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,509
Arrow Air circulation advice

I want 2 fans for my new tank, 1 which sucks air out and one that blows fresh air into the viv just wondering how effective it would be? Would the 2nd fan suck the fresh air out right away? As i'll have to mist the plants I want a nice gentle circulation of air flowing through the terrarium to keep the humidty down and the air fresh so that my frogs don't develop any problems that can be caused by stagnant air and too high humidity when i move them in in a couple of months.
__________________
2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs | 2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs | 2.4.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs | 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs
1.1.0 - Tomato Frogs |
5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs |





0.3.0 - Sugar Gliders (Grey, White Faced & Leu)
0.1.0 - Red Dalmatian Crested Gecko | 1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 25,127
Default

Exos have a lot of ventilation already. The heat from the lights should draw air upwards and out, whilst the vent at the front should allow fresh air in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoose View Post
I'm beginning to dislike you less.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 01:52 PM
andaroo's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,509
Default

yes i know but the tanks don't have a fresh air smell to them so i want that added extra. Should i just have one sucking air out? I was thinking of getting the lucky reptile terra fan set but then i read it gets noisy, and i saw the habistat fan but its expensive at 20 each and i'd want 2
__________________
2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs | 2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs | 2.4.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs | 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs
1.1.0 - Tomato Frogs |
5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs |





0.3.0 - Sugar Gliders (Grey, White Faced & Leu)
0.1.0 - Red Dalmatian Crested Gecko | 1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 02:12 PM
andie's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny Devon where it always rains
Posts: 1,095
Default

I went to pc world bought 2 small pc fans and placed them on top of the vents on the lids of my 2 exo's. Ive got them sucking the air out, as morgan says theres a vent on the front so no need for 2 sucking and blowing.
I plugged them into a phone charger and they run so quiet you can barely hear them, and the glass stays free of condensation. If i turn them the other way it blows warm air into the tanks from the hood which is great in colder weather. The charger i am using is under powered for the fans so they are running at about half speed. You can just about feel the flow if you put you hand next to the fan, so its nice and gentle, not a typhoon

Cost me about a tenner and works a treat.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 02:18 PM
andaroo's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andie View Post
I went to pc world bought 2 small pc fans and placed them on top of the vents on the lids of my 2 exo's. Ive got them sucking the air out, as morgan says theres a vent on the front so no need for 2 sucking and blowing.
I plugged them into a phone charger and they run so quiet you can barely hear them, and the glass stays free of condensation. If i turn them the other way it blows warm air into the tanks from the hood which is great in colder weather. The charger i am using is under powered for the fans so they are running at about half speed. You can just about feel the flow if you put you hand next to the fan, so its nice and gentle, not a typhoon

Cost me about a tenner and works a treat.
haha Typhoon no i don't want that, just a gentle breeze. Thanks for the idea!
__________________
2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs | 2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs | 2.4.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs | 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs
1.1.0 - Tomato Frogs |
5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs |





0.3.0 - Sugar Gliders (Grey, White Faced & Leu)
0.1.0 - Red Dalmatian Crested Gecko | 1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Bearnandos's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,180
Default

I have three lucky reptile fans @17.09 from reptilekeeping.co.uk
They are all 100% silent.....even when I use extra fans..so maybe its how you place them in??
I just place them ontop of the steel mesh - one on each opposite side.
If it does touch the sides they do rattle...but a gentle re-adjustment and its silent......
__________________
Oh how I wish to be a egg again......so young....
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 02:52 PM
andaroo's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearnandos View Post
I have three lucky reptile fans @17.09 from reptilekeeping.co.uk
They are all 100% silent.....even when I use extra fans..so maybe its how you place them in??
I just place them ontop of the steel mesh - one on each opposite side.
If it does touch the sides they do rattle...but a gentle re-adjustment and its silent......
oh ok, i ordered 2 of the habistat mini fans gonna see how they work if i don't like em i'll just send them back.
__________________
2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs | 2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs | 2.4.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs | 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs
1.1.0 - Tomato Frogs |
5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs |





0.3.0 - Sugar Gliders (Grey, White Faced & Leu)
0.1.0 - Red Dalmatian Crested Gecko | 1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 10:18 PM
HalcyonInverts's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 727
Default

If your handy with a soldering iron and want to do this on the cheap...

Buy some small PC case fans (make sure they are 12v). I found some tiny ones that are only 5cm accross at maplins. (around 5)

Find a AC/DC charger that reduces the voltage to 12v. Ive used radio chargers, phone chargers and the like. im sure almost everyone has at least one kicking around. Make sure on the label it says it reduces to 12v...

Cut the end of the charger and cut the ends off the fan. Expose the wire cores and twist corresponding wires together completing the circuit. Check the fans are rotating the right way. If they arnt, simply switch the wires around as the DC is going in the wrong terminal.

You can wire in more than one fan in PARALLEL to the charger as the wattage is far below the chargers output.
Once its working, solder the wires together and wrap in electrical tape... there you go! a set of working fans!

This also works for the LED strips you can get off ebay, again just make sure they are 12v...

Saves a bundle on the overpriced fans from reptile suppliers (which are just rebranded PC case fans)

[Edit - just read post above saying smiliar thing! ignore me! ]
__________________
Andy
------------------

Last edited by HalcyonInverts; 22-02-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2010, 11:42 PM
ipreferaflan's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Isle Of Wight
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonInverts View Post
If your handy with a soldering iron and want to do this on the cheap...

Buy some small PC case fans (make sure they are 12v). I found some tiny ones that are only 5cm accross at maplins. (around 5)

Find a AC/DC charger that reduces the voltage to 12v. Ive used radio chargers, phone chargers and the like. im sure almost everyone has at least one kicking around. Make sure on the label it says it reduces to 12v...

Cut the end of the charger and cut the ends off the fan. Expose the wire cores and twist corresponding wires together completing the circuit. Check the fans are rotating the right way. If they arnt, simply switch the wires around as the DC is going in the wrong terminal.

You can wire in more than one fan in PARALLEL to the charger as the wattage is far below the chargers output.
Once its working, solder the wires together and wrap in electrical tape... there you go! a set of working fans!

This also works for the LED strips you can get off ebay, again just make sure they are 12v...

Saves a bundle on the overpriced fans from reptile suppliers (which are just rebranded PC case fans)

[Edit - just read post above saying smiliar thing! ignore me! ]
I did this earlier on.
Works a dream.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NW England Wanted air circulation fan wanted kinnie50 Equipment Classifieds 1 24-01-2010 01:21 PM
wavemaker/circulation pump?? cmullins Fish Keeping 2 08-08-2009 09:43 PM
Korallia circulation pumps exoticsandtropics Aquatics Classifieds 0 17-11-2008 08:04 PM
fans and circulation in a brand new house! Cru Equipment & Supplies 0 09-01-2008 08:47 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK)