Da DART ROOM(n SHED LOADSA pics) - Page 323 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 26-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Regular

Congratulations.
You, your help and the work that you and Shaz do , the posts, photos, info and humour- they always make me chuckle- are an inspiration to me and here's hoping for many many more.
Love ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Premier Citizen

These guys stu https://m.facebook.com/groups/220910...content_filter
Old 26-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Gold Star Member

Just thought I'd wack this back up to the top. We are still here still have the room still have the frogs.

I guess i've done this simply to tell you all that 6 years ago yesterday we got our first frogs 5 little leucs,from there all this happened,but it's kinda cool to be able to say that those 5little guys are still here and doing ace, in fact we have a new lot of their kids on the go right now.

Special happenings of the last few weeks are the second kid arriving in our second RFB breeding viv,so cool to finally get that second lot going
Pums have been brill of late actually. We have had a female here called lemon (basti) we turned her from yellow to orange probably carrots but there might be more at play. anyway I recently gave her a fella and she has kicked right into gear,succesfully rearing 3 whom are doing great and now we have another just about to morph as we speak. But here the lovely bit,this pair seem to have the right gene combo to through more yellow than anything else in the kids,which is cool. We have never bred yellow kids before so this is really special they look really cool as tiny kids and already they are starting to come for their dinner,I love how are baby pums do this it's enchanting

Eveything is fine here frogwise,i'm way too busy hence the slow post rate and my disappearing from the fora

6years who would have thought huh

Stu

seeya

Stu
Ex0tic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Premier Member

Nice to see you back posting
Dark Valentino likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 27-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Nice to see you back posting
So little time bro I am closing on another trade in 18 months. Work.s been harsh dude since me mate I cared for died. I simply haven't been able to post . But the rush the journey continues.

Mate what is really cool is so many of our little mates bought in those early days are still here,tincs have been our hardest to keep looking back with cold eyes. But all luecs auratus mysties,even one one very ancient summersi little man (he must be too old to be here now Darren had him a while before me has to be seven, Daz, if you shold read this any ideas( hey mate)???

With these years John,comes an afrirmation of some of the ideas in this thread. Some of our frogs for six years now have been cared for with methods mused and joked upon here.......they are thriving

Six year old luecs switched on a while bang good strong healthy tads froglets doing ace now will be shut down again slowly in a while. It sort of nice to be able to say these things john,not for me no credit there,but a new guy has a resource here warts an all,but now knows that some of this cobblers can keep a froggy doing ok for at least six years.

how ya doin' you good John?

I'm still very much here in spirit,about to rush off now to check a special little spotty yellow thang.she'll morph very very soon John I need to be watching

and that is why posts will be sporadic, sadly, even if you guys so need to see what is kicking off it's not really a life I want much at this time bro,much is going on to change that ,but i'm a bloody slow learner,

hey ho

little yellow bastis..........red and orange(ok she was yellow) parents little yellow ones can#t believe it
little yellow bastis LMAO

ha ha the excitment ain';t gone bro
just the time

belucky mate

Stu
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Gold Star Member

Folks,as above apologies I post so little now,but the room is still here still working and the frogs are still that complete joy they always were,the bastis have been amazing of late,must try and share some pics.

For anyone following this and it appears even with my absence folks still read all this PLEASE READ THE NEXT BIT.

My racking from ali warehouse has pretty much been great, The tube we were sent is of a wonderful quality and has lasted well. i've always had some concerns about the connectors but so far so good. Of note though is a foot failiure ,which fortunately didn't cause too many problems,it appears things have changed though regarding the connectors.

I have been contacted by a member here recently the connectors now being supplied no longer seem fit for purpose. whereas the ones I bought all those years back fitted with a tight fit having to be hammered home,it appears something has changed. the connectors are no longer that tight fit in fact they are simply falling out of the tubes My mate can't even get replacements as everything at ali warehouse seems to be exactly the same they have been through boxes of them and are unable to supply tight fitting connectors. He also had two feet fail in the middle of last night and was there like me with a trolley jack playing a get out of jail card,thankfully all vivs and frogs seems ok.

Guys this is a big old thread,one couple showing as much of their experiences as possible as they learnt about keeping darts our mistakes the lot. sure I'm a mad old sod with a sense of humour always up for a crack,but behind that there is a very honest guy who desparately wants the next froggy keeper to have a good start I adore these little frogs . Simply this took much time I could have written a book proably and made a bit of dosh,but that wasn't the deal here. I wanted to give something back for the froggies to give the next guy a bit of help,maybe to get just one small kid and his or her dad together like phibs did me when I started as a kid.to try and show a way where money wasn't recourse to not have,if that kid would graft for it,he could have.

Everything here has worked for us or where I have had problems I've tried to outline what I think might have been wrong. I've shown a way where a guy with not much really, dosh wise, can build vivs out of rubbish grow plants get wood, subs, leaves,etc for free. Shown a cheeper way of building a real nice looking rack to house it all in etc etc.

I no longer feel I can recomend these connectors I am deeply concerned that the product is not fit for purpose. We are dealing with lots of glass it is our primary source of material for viv building,sure there are other options but glass is still the most used viv building material throw in livestock ,our frogs and the racking has to be completely sound. There cannot be a question mark over these connectors,it is a fundamental that they do their job.

Things might change with time,but until I know they have and after hearing of the concerns raised by my fellow frogkeeper,I would urge anyone building a rack based on all this find an alternative on the connector side. As I say to the best of my knowledge the actual ali tube and its powdercoat (I think) covering are still sound but steer well clear of these connectors for the time being.
As I say this has come from another he's aware I'm posting this and if he wants to chime in he is very welcome.

This whole madness is based on honesty,things that work for us an attempt to show the next guy one way of doing this. In no way is it the only way,i've great mates here , who do many things differently to me,we have some proper debates ,they are not wrong ,I'm not right. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO KEEP DARTS it is one way that works for us.

But if I'm going to share to this level and it seems folks still come here to grab bits and bobs as a resourse( the post count is still rising plus I get contacted) even in my absense. Then I feel duty bound to share this as I am no longer comfortable with the racking being made how I did it,or more specifically the use of these connectors.

Take care folks sorry a bit of a sad post and my heart goes out to the guy having these issues but I feel a deep need to share this before anyone else gets thrown into the same position.

stu
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Premier Member

may i suggest using plumbers thread tape around the connector prior to insertion, u could custom wrap the connector till u get the right fit, its cheap and easy to get.

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstounite View Post
Folks,as above apologies I post so little now,but the room is still here still working and the frogs are still that complete joy they always were,the bastis have been amazing of late,must try and share some pics.

For anyone following this and it appears even with my absence folks still read all this PLEASE READ THE NEXT BIT.

My racking from ali warehouse has pretty much been great, The tube we were sent is of a wonderful quality and has lasted well. i've always had some concerns about the connectors but so far so good. Of note though is a foot failiure ,which fortunately didn't cause too many problems,it appears things have changed though regarding the connectors.

I have been contacted by a member here recently the connectors now being supplied no longer seem fit for purpose. whereas the ones I bought all those years back fitted with a tight fit having to be hammered home,it appears something has changed. the connectors are no longer that tight fit in fact they are simply falling out of the tubes My mate can't even get replacements as everything at ali warehouse seems to be exactly the same they have been through boxes of them and are unable to supply tight fitting connectors. He also had two feet fail in the middle of last night and was there like me with a trolley jack playing a get out of jail card,thankfully all vivs and frogs seems ok.

Guys this is a big old thread,one couple showing as much of their experiences as possible as they learnt about keeping darts our mistakes the lot. sure I'm a mad old sod with a sense of humour always up for a crack,but behind that there is a very honest guy who desparately wants the next froggy keeper to have a good start I adore these little frogs . Simply this took much time I could have written a book proably and made a bit of dosh,but that wasn't the deal here. I wanted to give something back for the froggies to give the next guy a bit of help,maybe to get just one small kid and his or her dad together like phibs did me when I started as a kid.to try and show a way where money wasn't recourse to not have,if that kid would graft for it,he could have.

Everything here has worked for us or where I have had problems I've tried to outline what I think might have been wrong. I've shown a way where a guy with not much really, dosh wise, can build vivs out of rubbish grow plants get wood, subs, leaves,etc for free. Shown a cheeper way of building a real nice looking rack to house it all in etc etc.

I no longer feel I can recomend these connectors I am deeply concerned that the product is not fit for purpose. We are dealing with lots of glass it is our primary source of material for viv building,sure there are other options but glass is still the most used viv building material throw in livestock ,our frogs and the racking has to be completely sound. There cannot be a question mark over these connectors,it is a fundamental that they do their job.

Things might change with time,but until I know they have and after hearing of the concerns raised by my fellow frogkeeper,I would urge anyone building a rack based on all this find an alternative on the connector side. As I say to the best of my knowledge the actual ali tube and its powdercoat (I think) covering are still sound but steer well clear of these connectors for the time being.
As I say this has come from another he's aware I'm posting this and if he wants to chime in he is very welcome.

This whole madness is based on honesty,things that work for us an attempt to show the next guy one way of doing this. In no way is it the only way,i've great mates here , who do many things differently to me,we have some proper debates ,they are not wrong ,I'm not right. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO KEEP DARTS it is one way that works for us.

But if I'm going to share to this level and it seems folks still come here to grab bits and bobs as a resourse( the post count is still rising plus I get contacted) even in my absense. Then I feel duty bound to share this as I am no longer comfortable with the racking being made how I did it,or more specifically the use of these connectors.

Take care folks sorry a bit of a sad post and my heart goes out to the guy having these issues but I feel a deep need to share this before anyone else gets thrown into the same position.

stu
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
may i suggest using plumbers thread tape around the connector prior to insertion, u could custom wrap the connector till u get the right fit, its cheap and easy to get.

rgds
ed

Ed yup I guess ptfe tape,( that's what you mean isn't it?....) and the thicker one at that would help.

But it kinda skirts around the point of the post,the ones I bought were a damn tight fit the ones available now fall out of the tube.

If we buy something brand new it should be fit for purpose,simple as,we shouldn't really have to start bodging things (used in the best sense of the word bro, not having a pop I'm grateful you posted) with tape it should fit properly,I had to hammer everything home,even bought their hammer which did the job well.

Ed,racks can be any size two viv to thrirty as the vivs get added more and more weight does. although I think what you are saying is a plausible workaround I have deep concerns now with these connectors .

Mate I bought two vivs way before frogs,they were broken and I felt that they would make a good start for me building my skillset . Those vivs came to be because a guys rack failed it actually fell over,he gave up mate couldn't face going through all this again. Ed it's the worst horror story can you imagine coming home to a rack that has failed broken glass all ways and most of all our precious frogs,I won't go further mate it's a terrible senario I wouldn't wish on any frog keeper.

If avoiding a product that is of concern, that is bought brand new !!! saves one frogkeeper that hardship ,not to mention the frogs themselves and their suffering,then the post was worth it.

I'm the guy that does find work arounds this whole thread is based on those,but here we shouldn't be looking for a work around we should be buying something that works and if there is a concern our fellow members should know before buying and before any preventable issues arise

take care Ed cheers for chiming in much appreciated mate

stu
Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Super Citizen

Evening stu

Just thought I'd hijack on here and let you know the three leucs I got from you are doing awesome so active so grateful for you writing all these posts as well as the pm's you did for me full of advice I love these little dudes although they are growing like weeds. I feel like I should get more little ones when funds allow these really are a joy to watch so just to say thank you for being a top bloke selling good strong animals (culture seem to be doing ok) as well.

Regards Mick
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Premier Member

well there is another way, which iv done but its a pain in the butt,
drill a hole through the tube with connector inserted and rivet thru,
its good but its sorta permanent, u have to drill out the rivet to undo things,
but it only works on hollow connectors, not the solid core ones. but it doesn't look bad though.

i wonder why they would change a part spec like that, it makes no sense. also wonder if other sources has different spec parts or they collectively buy from the same few sources.

rgds and good luck.
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstounite View Post
Ed yup I guess ptfe tape,( that's what you mean isn't it?....) and the thicker one at that would help.

But it kinda skirts around the point of the post,the ones I bought were a damn tight fit the ones available now fall out of the tube.

If we buy something brand new it should be fit for purpose,simple as,we shouldn't really have to start bodging things (used in the best sense of the word bro, not having a pop I'm grateful you posted) with tape it should fit properly,I had to hammer everything home,even bought their hammer which did the job well.

Ed,racks can be any size two viv to thrirty as the vivs get added more and more weight does. although I think what you are saying is a plausible workaround I have deep concerns now with these connectors .

Mate I bought two vivs way before frogs,they were broken and I felt that they would make a good start for me building my skillset . Those vivs came to be because a guys rack failed it actually fell over,he gave up mate couldn't face going through all this again. Ed it's the worst horror story can you imagine coming home to a rack that has failed broken glass all ways and most of all our precious frogs,I won't go further mate it's a terrible senario I wouldn't wish on any frog keeper.

If avoiding a product that is of concern, that is bought brand new !!! saves one frogkeeper that hardship ,not to mention the frogs themselves and their suffering,then the post was worth it.

I'm the guy that does find work arounds this whole thread is based on those,but here we shouldn't be looking for a work around we should be buying something that works and if there is a concern our fellow members should know before buying and before any preventable issues arise

take care Ed cheers for chiming in much appreciated mate

stu
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Tags
da dartroom