Fruit fly question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Regular
Default Fruit fly question

Hi,

This might seem a stupid questions, but as a beginer doing some research i need ask.
How do you get the fruit flies out of there culture (i think that right) into the frog vivarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboas View Post
Hi,

This might seem a stupid questions, but as a beginer doing some research i need ask.
How do you get the fruit flies out of there culture (i think that right) into the frog vivarium?
Because it might make ya smile i'm going to say individually with a pr of chop sticks

Ok seriously no question is stupid,when you have a good hatch you simply take the top off your culture after giving it a couple of taps to remove any up top. Then,invert the culture and tap the container out into another cup say around a pint in size. This cup has already had some vit supps added. once you have the quantity of ff's in the cup give it a quick swirl to cover the flies,pop your top back on the culture,and you are ready to feed.Because the flies are dusted,they will struggle to climb out
SORTED
Stu
Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Regular

Because I dont dust mine I just angle the container over the viv and shove them out with a spoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Regular

I use a pooter, there's some instructions on how to make one here:
Make a Pooter(Bug Sucker) « Camp Naturalist

Mine is made from a small glass jar.

I wouldn't dare invert my cultures, I dread to think how much would fall out.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by obicat View Post
Because I dont dust mine I just angle the container over the viv and shove them out with a spoon
why not ?
Ron Magpie likes this.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:43 PM
5 Star Member

I tip my cultures to a slight angle and tap loads into a big funnel, the end of which is poked into a small plastic food container with a hole in the lid (Asda Smartprice, small ones), I put my supplements in this before I start. Once there are enough flies in there, I pull out the funnel (after putting the lid back on the culture. lol), tap the container and swap the lid for one without a hole. I then give it a shake to dust the flies. I then either tip the whole pot into a viv, or I tip how many flies I want into another tub, relid the parent tub, and tip the contents of the 2nd tub into a viv, repeating this for my other vivs.

If your culture media is mixed right, none will fall out. I use Repashy superfly, and wood wool, and every now and then a tiny bit of the wood wool falls out.

obicat, if you are feeding phibs you should be dusting your flies. The calcium to phosphorous ratio is way out otherwise, not to mention the phibs need extra vitamin A and D3. The same is probably true for other vertebrates as well.

Ade
Old 14-12-2011, 01:50 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambridge15 View Post
why not ?
Wondered this myself...
Old 14-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Regular

Because I feed them about once a fortnight to a small group of newts I have living terrestrially. The fruit flies are just added extras to give them a bit of variety and to get them hunting and moving about. I only really use them still as the culture is still churning out a fair few. The bulk of their nutrition comes from daphnia/blood worms/earth worms

Tags
fly , fruit