Mini paludarium build - Step by step with pictures - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 27-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to philbaines
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstounite View Post
Nah i think you should show what your doing and Colin's imput is great,your thoughtful(both sides) debate give us all something,to think on,gecko keepers or not,lets face it your not hurling rocks at each other just both stating valid points of view.
An analogy mike above is me mate,he doesn't use tad tea,i do,we both rear darts,we both respect each others methods and choose what works for us,and spend hours questing for the others point of view,his wisdom he chucks at me and i steal it and am silly back,ok i chuck ideas back,but by talking the hell out of little things we both are better off,i know he agrees,we don't need to use the same methods though to learn more than one of us could alone,that IS what these forums are about,without each others ideas,something to ponder its pointless,PLUS we will never all agree nor should we,none of our set ups are the same,not viv layout not room conditions not feeders or individuals within a species...none of it
Stu
Sorry stu-I just don't agree with you there ;-) LOL

Debates are good,and end of the day everyone is trying to do right by the animals they keep.And as long as there happy and breeding then your doing something right!
1.1.0 Dendrobate Tinc Azureus
1.1.0 Dendrobate Tinc Alanis
1.1.0 Dendrobate Leucomelas
1.1.0 Panther Chameleon
0.1.0 Wifey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Obviously we will agree to disagree.

The only point that I will pull you up on is the breeding part.I think that too many of us(and zoos included) deduce that animals are content if they breed.Animals are programmed to breed and if you have healthy animals and conditions that somewhere replicate their natural habitat/ideal habitat they will breed.Its natural to want to pass your genes onto the next generation so conditions dont have to be perfect.
frogman955 likes this.
Old 27-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbaines View Post
Sorry stu-I just don't agree with you there ;-) LOL

Debates are good,and end of the day everyone is trying to do right by the animals they keep.And as long as there happy and breeding then your doing something right!
yeah ya do

^^

stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Star Member

Amphibian debates are better still. :P

Ade
Old 28-06-2012, 01:31 PM
No Life Member

Stu is right, though, that different methods work for all of us.

Beanie, I'm sure somebody on here (maybe Jay?) suggested using short pieces of bamboo with entrance holes cut into them for day geckos- the idea was that the lizards would use them both as refuges and to lay in, and the whole tube could be removed for rearing. Interesting idea, I think.

Last but not least, congrats on the wedding!
Old 28-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Magpie View Post
Stu is right, though, that different methods work for all of us.

Beanie, I'm sure somebody on here (maybe Jay?) suggested using short pieces of bamboo with entrance holes cut into them for day geckos- the idea was that the lizards would use them both as refuges and to lay in, and the whole tube could be removed for rearing. Interesting idea, I think.

Last but not least, congrats on the wedding!
Yep Ron that's the reason I use bamboo for my daygeckos and lygos, the removal of eggs is so much easier. Though i am on beanies side a little here, as I dont see it as essential unlike most day gecko keepers. Whilst it makes life easier for breeding it sint and essential part IMO.

Though i have to say even in heavily planted enclosures most of my lygos and day geckos do indeed prefer to hide in babmoo and lay loads of eggs in them too.

Jay

P.S. ron you coming up to Ade's frog day?

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 28-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikebrit View Post
Yep Ron that's the reason I use bamboo for my daygeckos and lygos, the removal of eggs is so much easier. Though i am on beanies side a little here, as I dont see it as essential unlike most day gecko keepers. Whilst it makes life easier for breeding it sint and essential part IMO.

Though i have to say even in heavily planted enclosures most of my lygos and day geckos do indeed prefer to hide in babmoo and lay loads of eggs in them too.

Jay

P.S. ron you coming up to Ade's frog day?
Nervous Phelsuma will become more bold if you have fewer hiding places much like some Splashback Dartfrogs that I had a few years ago.Some species are very nervous but if you gradually remove the hiding spaces they will get more showy.Certainly worked with these Splashbacks.
Old 28-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm View Post
Nervous Phelsuma will become more bold if you have fewer hiding places much like some Splashback Dartfrogs that I had a few years ago.Some species are very nervous but if you gradually remove the hiding spaces they will get more showy.Certainly worked with these Splashbacks.
I would say for day geckos and lygos mine are very confident and spend most of their time basking watching out of the viv doors. I was refering to their choose of hide when they wish too. CB and WC alike.

However, on a whole i have to disagree with you, though i can't comment on the dartfrogs as i only keep tricolours darts just dont interest me. With the frogs, lizards and geckos i keep if they are nervous i provide loads of hides and cover. Basically make them feel secure and in time they will gain confidence and spend most of their time in the open. This is easy with live planted set ups. This also works well for WC species during the acclimatisation process.

jay

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 28-06-2012, 04:53 PM
5 Star Member

I have to agree with Jay here. It is a well known phenomenon with darts that the more cover you provide the less they use it as they feel safer knowing that if needed they are always close to cover.

Before you argue that your splashbacks were the opposite Colin, please allow me to suggest that what you observed was your frogs settling in over time, rather than been bolder with less cover.

I refuse to get involved in a debate re day geckos however, as end of the day this is the amphibians section, not the lizards section.

Regards
Old 28-06-2012, 05:03 PM

They certainly werent settling in because at first they were in a quarantine vivarium with just some cork bak cover at first and I saw them almost continuosly, but when I moved them into their planted vivaium I saw them very little.

It s my opinion on thats its the same for Phelsuma but as you its an amphibian thred.It also depends on whether you have them in a room that is occupied or not.For both lizards and frogs I have noticed that if they are in a spare room where you only feed them once a day they do not get used to human contact but if you have them in a living room that is used regularly they will be bolder.

Tags
dart frog , day gecko , palduarium , tank