Journals of Various Amphibian Species - Links to PDF files. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Amphibians

Old 25-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Super Citizen
Post Echinotriton chinhaiensis Journal/Paper - Interesting Read

Hi everyone,

Instead of simply uploading a new thread for a journal, I thought it might be fairer and easier to simply use this thread to upload journal links to. Also, it means I can add to it without taking up most of the Amphibian Section! lol

Firstly, here is a Journal by Miguel Vences, Christopher J. Raxworthy, Ronald A. Nussbaum & Frank Glaw which looks into the Revision of the Scaphiophyrne marmorata species. Took me a while to find out where I had saved this document! lol

Quote:
Abstract:- A revision of the available material hitherto assigned to the endemic Malagasy microhylid toad Scaphiophryne marmorata finds this taxon to be a complex of three species. In this study we resurrect Scaphiophryne spinosa Steindachner, 1882 from the synonymy of S. marmorata and describe a new species from central eastern Madagascar. These three Scaphiophryne species are characterized by their distinctly expanded terminal finger discs, a character only shared with S. gottlebei. S. spinosa is characterized by a highly granular back, with large spiny tubercles above the forelimb insertion and in the tympanic region, while S. marmorata is dorsally covered by less prominent and more regular tubercles. The new species is distinguished from both S. marmorata and S. spinosa by its large body size (SVL 47-60 mm), a smoother dorsal skin, and reddish terminal finger discs in life. S. spinosa is distributed in low- and mid-altitude rainforests along the east coast, whereas the new species is only known from mid-altitude rainforest in the Fierenana region. In contrast, records of S. marmorata include eastern mid-altitude rainforests and several more arid western sites.

Here is the link - A Revision of the Scaphiophryne marmorata complex of Marbled Toads from Madagascar, including the description of a new species

Anyway, shall try and see if my starter posts for the E.chinhaiensis, M.aurantiaca and Tadpole development of S.marmorata threads along with all their comments can be moved to this single thread

Enjoy!

MantellaMan

ADMIN EDIT: All Journal threads merged and stickied here. Apologies if the thread reads a little odd - the merge function puts all posts in chronological order so may cause some confusion!

Last edited by bothrops; 27-04-2013 at 12:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2013, 12:07 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantellaMan View Post
Hi everyone,

Those of you that are interested in Caudata (Newt & Salamander) species, especially the Tylototriton and Echinotriton genus's, then you might enjoy reading this;

Age Structure of Females in a Breeding Population of Echinotriton chinhaiensis and it's Conservation Implications

Found this a while back by chance, I was looking for information on Echinotriton andersoni but as soon as I saw this, I had to read it lol

Enjoy

MantellaMan
HOW do you keep finding this stuff?
MantellaMan likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Super Citizen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Magpie View Post
HOW do you keep finding this stuff?
Hahah I have several more things I have stored away for the past year :L I still have quite a few to read eventually

One in particular I want to read first before posting is a Mantella Aurantiaca one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Super Citizen

I do have a Scaphiophyrne marmorata one I found the other week if people are interested in reading it? It's only about the Tadpole stage of the Malagasy Marbled Burrowing Frog species in the Scaphiophyrne genus, which is only a page long at the most lol

Shall I put it up?
Old 26-04-2013, 12:22 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
I do have a Scaphiophyrne marmorata one I found the other week if people are interested in reading it? It's only about the Tadpole stage of the Malagasy Marbled Burrowing Frog species in the Scaphiophyrne genus, which is only a page long at the most lol

Shall I put it up?
I'd be interested! I have a trio of S madagarensis (spelling dubious!).
MantellaMan likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Super Citizen
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'd be interested! I have a trio of S madagarensis (spelling dubious!).
Shall post it up now then

Have you really? I love the Scaphiophyrne genus! How long have you had your S.madagascarensis individuals?
Old 26-04-2013, 12:32 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Shall post it up now then

Have you really? I love the Scaphiophyrne genus! How long have you had your S.madagascarensis individuals?
Two or three years, now- bought them at PRAS. To be utterly honest, they are the least satisfying frogs I have- they literally spend weeks or even months without appearing above ground; even then, it's mostly in total darkness. They are very pretty indeed when I'm actually honoured with a glimpse, but I wouldn't recommend them to any but the most dedicated keeper.
MantellaMan likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Super Citizen
Post The Tadpoles of the Scaphiophyrne marmorata of Madagascar Journal

Hi everyone,

This journal I came across a few weeks ago is about the larval development of the Scaphiophyrne genus from Madagascar, focusing particularly on the Malagasy Marbled Burrowing Frog (S.marmorata). It's not very long and will only take you a couple of minutes to read it but, here you go;

The tadpole of the toadlet Scaphiophryne marmorata from Madagascar
by Stephane Grosjean & Miguel Vences

Hope you enjoy it Ron, shall try to find some more I do have somewhere saved on species of the Scaphiophryne genus.

MantellaMan

bellabelloo and Ron Magpie like this.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Super Citizen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Two or three years, now- bought them at PRAS. To be utterly honest, they are the least satisfying frogs I have- they literally spend weeks or even months without appearing above ground; even then, it's mostly in total darkness. They are very pretty indeed when I'm actually honoured with a glimpse, but I wouldn't recommend them to any but the most dedicated keeper.
Ahhh fair enough, I am looking for some myself actually! :L and haha yeah most the genus are/can be like that really, my S.marmorata individuals are actually out quite a lot currently as I am trying to get them into a routine of having seasonal rain and weather patterns and at the moment it's "Raining" for them lol
Would love to see some photos of yours if you can ever get any!!
The thread is up now for you
Ron Magpie likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:41 AM
No Life Member

I'm sometimes (!) lucky to get a look, let alone a photo- so don't hold your breath, a blue skin tone probably wouldn't suit you...

Read it, BTW- good stuff!

Tags
amphibian journals , breeding paper , dietary intake , dietary study , echinotriton , journal , journals , malagasy rain frogs , mantella auranticia , publications , scaphiophyrne