Jungle dawn life expectancy - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies > Arcadia

Old 15-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Super Regular
Default Jungle dawn life expectancy

Hi all, I bought some jungle dawn leds when I got back into the hobby in December/ January. Sadly, 2 have stopped working within a day of each other. One is a 9w and the other a13w. Is this how long they last? I should add that I'm an electrician so the wiring etc "should" be of a good standard, you would hope! I'd love to hear others experiences of these . I'm happy with the product, but I'm afraid I can't afford to replace them every 3 months. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Regular

That don't sound right I know heat can kill the leds I got some second hand 6 months ago still working fine 12 hour on a day Arcadia john should be able to help you he's always been straight on anything I've asked about Arcadia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grahamhypher likes this.
Old 16-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Super Regular

Sorry to hear that, I have about 8 and they run from 12 hours a day, I know for a fact I have had them as long as the reptile shed they are in and that is now October 2015.
Good luck with them, they are awesome.
grahamhypher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Premier Member

Hi,

They are guaranteed for one year. The factors that kill LEDS of all kinds are heat, wrong control and physical damage.

LEDs were designed to be used in free air, so placing them in a hood or enclosed space will dramatically reduce their useable life.

All of the heat comes off of the heat sink backwards. Nothing into the viv. So the back should have complete airflow around them.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 17-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for the reply John, as far as I can see I've got them in a good position, I work with analog electronics, so im aware that they need cooling. Can I ask, are they using a switch mode unit for voltage control? I've lost my receipt so I'll take the hit this time, and get some more. They are lovely units, but please do something about the brackets, even the fact that you've got to remove the lamp holder to screw it to the wall is a real pain, and the longer one with the clip is pretty bad. Could I suggest an aluminium version around 2mm thickness, and perhaps an inside bearing set up for the far end of the longer fitting? I understand that this will increase the cost substantially, but I think the people that are spending the money on the lamps would pay for a better fitting. Thanks again,Graham
michaelsnny likes this.

Tags
jungle dawn