Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Arcadia (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/arcadia/)
-   -   FB15 in a Nat Sun box? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/arcadia/1221322-fb15-nat-sun-box.html)

Lagertha 29-11-2017 10:40 PM

FB15 in a Nat Sun box?

Hey guys,

I bought Natural Sunlight Lamp 15w 450mm/18 inch from Swell Reptiles. The cardboard tube it came in says 2% UVB Natural Sunlight (reptiles on the box).

The t8 tube inside the box says Bird Lamp FB15 on it.

Has it been packaged incorrectly?

I see the FB15 is a 2.4% UVB 12% UVA tube, not the 2% / 10% for corn snakes.

Thanks in advance :)

Arcadiajohn 30-11-2017 11:23 AM

HI,

Yes these lamps are very interchangeable.

The bird variety has a slightly higher CRI, the UVB is the same

not sure how it happened to be honest, but it is a VERY good lamp none the less and will provide the same UV as the Nat sun label.

Lagertha 30-11-2017 02:03 PM

Hey John,

Thank you very much for the reply. That's fine, so I take from that it's completely suitable and safe for my corn snake? (My viv is 18" tall btw.)

Arcadiajohn 30-11-2017 07:29 PM

Perfectly fine,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagertha (Post 13036458)
Hey John,

Thank you very much for the reply. That's fine, so I take from that it's completely suitable and safe for my corn snake? (My viv is 18" tall btw.)

Lagertha 30-11-2017 10:50 PM

Awesome thanks mate

Lagertha 07-12-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn (Post 13036122)
HI,

Yes these lamps are very interchangeable.

The bird variety has a slightly higher CRI, the UVB is the same

not sure how it happened to be honest, but it is a VERY good lamp none the less and will provide the same UV as the Nat sun label.

Hey John,

Been directed your way by Ed, as you are the UV guru :)

Based on my understanding UVB 2.4% is good - and actually as the bulb output declines I'm moving from 2.4% downwards, rather than 2% down - so that may actually be a plus for longevity.

Would you mind explaining the impact of higher UVA (12% v 10%). In terms of visible light, temps and lumens, I think the tube I have is very comparable to the nat sun - but I'm not fully clear on the impact of the UVA :)

Arcadiajohn 08-12-2017 12:48 PM

The choice of lamp is totally dependant on the species to be kept and the height of the enclosure.

In very lose terms, UV decreases in potency the further light travels.

so, the further the lamp is away from the animal the weaker the index available to it,

cross that with the developed solar needs of the species and you will arrive with a lamp that produces the index that the animal needs at the usual basking place.

Now, a wild type corn has developed to thrive in an environment that is hot and with a high index. We also know that they are both terrestrial to low level arboreal and of course diurnal. This alludes to the fact that they not only are exposed to high levels of sunlight but that as per the laws of natural selection, they have a use for it.

I provide a basking index of 2.50-3.00 for my American rat snakes. This is a safe and usable index in-which they can self-regulate.

to provide this you could have a viv that was 2' high, decorated with branches so that the snake can lay 12-15" from the lamp and use a 6% T5 or 12% T8 to do so.

Basking with a 2.4% lamp is 8" from the lamp and reflector.

Ideally we need lamps above the animal and as far away as possible. Ideally no closer than 12"

In most cases keepers now use the 24w UVFLOOD and have that 15" from the animal as part of the light and shade method

Hope this helps,

Lagertha 09-12-2017 12:21 PM

Thanks John, it does help very much! Hope you don't mind but I am still getting to grips with a few details :)

If I have this right... the distance between the bottom of the tube and the floor is ~15", so to fall within the 1.1 - 3.0 UVI for corns, I need to provide a platform about 8 inches from the lamp - which (according to link below) would be 60mW/cm2 = UVI 2.4.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-co...corn-snake.jpg

But at 15" under the nat sun/bird lamp is <1 UVI (approx 0.4 UVI) which is ineffectual for a corn snake.

- Is the advice to give a corn a 2% UVB is outdated because it's just too far away to have any effect?

- The d3 t8 lamp says it outputs 30% uva - is that suitable for a corn?

- So looking at the UVFlood - if I don't put any raised basking zones under the lamp, at 15 inches/40cm, I'm going to be somewhere around a UVI index of 2.

This looks OK but the article here View of How much UVB does my reptile need? The UV-Tool, a guide to the selection of UV lighting for reptiles and amphibians in captivity. talks about Zone 2 animals (corns) having a zone range of .7 - 1.0 UVI and a max of 1.1 - 3.0?

- Zone range is the mean - why do we want to aim for the max, as opposed to the average?

Arcadiajohn 09-12-2017 08:10 PM

Yes the 2% lamp is not powerful enough with nice high vivs. It is more suited to shallow enclosures.

I use the flood on most things and then adjust decoration.

It's 6 and 2 3s, you can get the index you want with any lamp really, just be thoughtful at height.

My index suggestions are based on my own lighting guide which sits nicely alongside the zoo tool,( I wrote mine first however)

There are differences and we disagree with some species, but that is fine! I believe in providing a strong source over a reduced area and then allowing self -selection, where as the tool supposes whole enclosure lighting.

All lamps are balanced with UVb and UVA ratio. Most lamps are 30% UVA from the total output.

I explain this in great detail in my new book which is out in early spring

The choice is yours!

QUOTE=Lagertha;13044538]Thanks John, it does help very much! Hope you don't mind but I am still getting to grips with a few details :)

If I have this right... the distance between the bottom of the tube and the floor is ~15", so to fall within the 1.1 - 3.0 UVI for corns, I need to provide a platform about 8 inches from the lamp - which (according to link below) would be 60mW/cm2 = UVI 2.4.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-co...corn-snake.jpg

But at 15" under the nat sun/bird lamp is <1 UVI (approx 0.4 UVI) which is ineffectual for a corn snake.

- Is the advice to give a corn a 2% UVB is outdated because it's just too far away to have any effect?

- The d3 t8 lamp says it outputs 30% uva - is that suitable for a corn?

- So looking at the UVFlood - if I don't put any raised basking zones under the lamp, at 15 inches/40cm, I'm going to be somewhere around a UVI index of 2.

This looks OK but the article here View of How much UVB does my reptile need? The UV-Tool, a guide to the selection of UV lighting for reptiles and amphibians in captivity. talks about Zone 2 animals (corns) having a zone range of .7 - 1.0 UVI and a max of 1.1 - 3.0?

- Zone range is the mean - why do we want to aim for the max, as opposed to the average?[/QUOTE]

Lagertha 10-12-2017 07:39 PM

Well thanks again John, much appreciated, and I'll keep an eye out for your book :)!