Deep Heat and Dragon Lamp Placement - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies > Arcadia

Old 15-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Egg
Default Deep Heat and Dragon Lamp Placement

As per my previous post I'm building out an Ackie viv. For the basking spot I am going to use a 120W halogen, a Deep Heat and either a 14% Dragon lamp or a 12% Desert T5.

I've been told Dragon lamps are best placed 40 to 50cm away, whilst the Desert T5 should be 30 to 40 cm away. Then I've read that the Deep Heat should be 20cm away from basking area.

So my question is, how far from the halogen, Deep Heat and UV should my basking are be? I'm thinking about making it c.50 cm from the UV bulb to the basking area floor (therefore less distance away from Deep Heat and Halogen which hang lower) and then just create a retes stack or similar to allow the Ackies to regulate .

Is this the best approach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Premier Member

Yes, the idea basking UVI with DragonLamp is 15" from the reflected lamp and over the basking zone.

All heat and light should be grouped over a common area. DHP will work at distances greater than 20cm for sure, but this depends on how you have it set up, the colour and density of rock used at the basking zone and the temp set on the stat. It maybe an idea to use the halogen and DHP on separate stats and run the DHP hard. In this way we really do provide a very nice replicant of the terrestrial spectrum of IR

Mount the lamps that the 'beams cross' ghostbusters style over the basking rocks but do this so that the heat is not pushing onto the T5 unit itself. Heat is the #1 killer of T5 tech, careful placement is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky32 View Post
As per my previous post I'm building out an Ackie viv. For the basking spot I am going to use a 120W halogen, a Deep Heat and either a 14% Dragon lamp or a 12% Desert T5.

I've been told Dragon lamps are best placed 40 to 50cm away, whilst the Desert T5 should be 30 to 40 cm away. Then I've read that the Deep Heat should be 20cm away from basking area.

So my question is, how far from the halogen, Deep Heat and UV should my basking are be? I'm thinking about making it c.50 cm from the UV bulb to the basking area floor (therefore less distance away from Deep Heat and Halogen which hang lower) and then just create a retes stack or similar to allow the Ackies to regulate .

Is this the best approach?
Jinky32 likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 17-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Premier Member

Sorry, i forgot to attach this new blog on IR for you. www.arcadiareptile.com/infrared-wavelengths-and-reptile-care/
Jinky32 likes this.

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

www.arcadiareptile.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Egg

Quote:
the colour and density of rock used at the basking zone
I'm thinking slate in the basking area - is that OK. What do you mean by density in this context?

Quote:
It maybe an idea to use the halogen and DHP on separate stats and run the DHP hard.
I have a microclime Evo with two channels. Was thinking of having theDH on pulse and the halogen (and UV) on timer, would this be ok? Also what do you mean by 'run the DHP hard? Sorry for the newbie question!

Quote:
Mount the lamps that the 'beams cross' ghostbusters style over the basking rocks but do this so that the heat is not pushing onto the T5 unit itself.
I'm still not quite sure on how to mount all these heat and lights to get the optimum setup with regards distance from basking area. It seems that (if the basking area was flat and the ceiling/mount point was flat) that it would not work to have them mounted together. SO perhaps I need to think about mounting the UV on the ceiling (15") from basking but have the DHP and halogen side mounted and pointed at a basking spot about 10" away.

Sorry for all the novice questions. I'm buildnig the viv myslef so it is within my control to get all this right, I just need to understand what 'right' is!
Old 17-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Premier Member

See below

Quote:
I'm thinking slate in the basking area - is that OK. What do you mean by density in this context? Yes, a dark colour slate is perfect, the thicker the better. This will reflect a small amount of IR but also work as a black body radiator to store and release energy back into the viv as long wavelength IR which will warm the air.

I have a microclime Evo with two channels. Was thinking of having theDH on pulse and the halogen (and UV) on timer, would this be ok? Also what do you mean by 'run the DHP hard? Sorry for the newbie question! Ideally both should be dimming stat controlled, or you will have no real control over what is happening. To get the fullest spectrum lamps should be run close to full power, this can mean choosing a lower wattage halogen so that it is on full power to create your thermal gradient, the same for DHP. If the lamp is real powerful it will hit target basking temp and dim down quickly. It is not 'Heat' that is needed! it is the energy within the photons of light within I-R that are important as they carry the energy that an ectothermic species needs to 'power up' and run.

I'm still not quite sure on how to mount all these heat and lights to get the optimum setup with regards distance from basking area. It seems that (if the basking area was flat and the ceiling/mount point was flat) that it would not work to have them mounted together. SO perhaps I need to think about mounting the UV on the ceiling (15") from basking but have the DHP and halogen side mounted and pointed at a basking spot about 10" away. Have your UV system placed directly over the basking zone at the correct distance. Increase slate height to do this, never lower lamps. Then mount your heat sources alongside the UV so that the 'light' wether you can see it or not is pointing down onto the zone rather than away from it or onto the UV system. If you keep 2" between the heaters and T5 it should be fine, you can add a slight angle if you wish to swerve the T5 and push light onto the basking zone.

Your probes should then be placed roughly 2" outside of the projection zone of the heat lamps and on the slate. So look for the ring of light from your halogen and where you think the DHP is projecting and put it just outside that. This will stop the probe itself heating directly and giving you a false reading. Double check with non-contact thermometers only and then adjust the system till you hit your target temp.

It will take roughly a week for the DHP to burn in and get to full power (same for UV lamp) and to energise the rock so that you find thermal stability. Think of the rock as a bank, you have to put energy in to get it back out. Then, the animal will benefit from direct exposure as well as from radiated heated air. Simple, when you know how

Sorry for all the novice questions. I'm buildnig the viv myslef so it is within my control to get all this right, I just need to understand what 'right' is!

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 17-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Egg

Many thanks for your help with all this!

Final question!

re thermostats you say:
Quote:
Ideally both should be dimming stat controlled, or you will have no real control over what is happening.
That's fine, my main channel on the evo can be set to dimming. Are you saying that the halogen should also be on dimming? If so can I hook both the DHP and halogen to the same dimming channel on the Evo (each channel supports 600W) or should I get a separate stat? And is it OK for the UVs to be on the Evo timer channel?
Old 17-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Premier Member

I honestly don't know, i use a halogen on a dimming stat and timer and the DHP on a 'day/night' dimming stat. In this way it reduces energy to the lamp when the light go off and protects the viv from any chance of falling below the target night time temp

Yes, you can run the T5 from the timer or a separate timer, up to you.

Quote:
Many thanks for your help with all this!

Final question!

re thermostats you say:

That's fine, my main channel on the evo can be set to dimming. Are you saying that the halogen should also be on dimming? If so can I hook both the DHP and halogen to the same dimming channel on the Evo (each channel supports 600W) or should I get a separate stat? And is it OK for the UVs to be on the Evo timer channel?

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 15-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Egg

Hi, sorry to come back on this. If situated about 30cm from basking area how much coverage / surface area will the dhp cover? I guess this is the same question as asking what the angle is.
Old 16-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Egg

Also I've been advised to move away from the halogen spot that I was going to use in order to avoid burns. Been advised to go with https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...ng-solar-flood but I can't see these on the Arcadia site. I can see https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...-basking-lamp/ so which of these is the right product to use?
It would go alongside dragon lamp and DHP in a bioactive setup with thick 20+mm slate sheet retes stack
Old 16-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Premier Member

The advice is bad, Halogen coupled with DHP is a very good combo, the only issues with all spot type lamps is that they are 'spot' which means if fitted close to the animal that they can cause burns.

The answer is to set the lamp up safely and control it via your stat just as you will with the DHP

The Arcadia Reptile Halogens are midway between spot and flood, so not really a huge issue

The projection of the DHP obviously increases with lamp distance, typically you have coverage of 10-12" when the lamp is 12" away from the basking area.

Quote:
Also I've been advised to move away from the halogen spot that I was going to use in order to avoid burns. Been advised to go with https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...ng-solar-flood but I can't see these on the Arcadia site. I can see https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...-basking-lamp/ so which of these is the right product to use?
It would go alongside dragon lamp and DHP in a bioactive setup with thick 20+mm slate sheet retes stack

www.arcadiareptile.com

Tags
deep heat , halogen , uvb