Basking lamp - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies > Arcadia

Old 21-09-2018, 02:21 AM
Hatchling
Default Basking lamp

Ok so Iím a newbie, have done lots and lots of research on blue tongue skinks and plan on getting one asap. I bought everything I need, but I didnít think at the time that the viv isnít very tall(itís 4 foot long btw) I bought a 150w Arcadia intense basking lamp. When I tried it last night I realised that itís going to be quite close to the basking rock and itís almost defiantly going to get too hot. Been googling but canít find anything. Do I need a lower watt bulb? If so what watt? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Ultra Citizen

The heat lamp should be connected to a Dimmer Thermostat which will control the temperature at the basking spot, this will ensure it does not get too hot.

Do you have a Dimmer Thermostat? Is so what is the temperature directly underneath or at the centre of the heat spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyshabarnett View Post
Ok so Iím a newbie, have done lots and lots of research on blue tongue skinks and plan on getting one asap. I bought everything I need, but I didnít think at the time that the viv isnít very tall(itís 4 foot long btw) I bought a 150w Arcadia intense basking lamp. When I tried it last night I realised that itís going to be quite close to the basking rock and itís almost defiantly going to get too hot. Been googling but canít find anything. Do I need a lower watt bulb? If so what watt? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
al stotton likes this.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2019: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 21-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Premier Member

Yes, the advice above is correct. All heat sources should be suitably controlled. Only in this way are you able to correctly and safely supply for your animal.
al stotton likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com