Confused about positioning of thermostat probe and Deep Heat Projector - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies > Arcadia

Old 29-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Regular
Default Confused about positioning of thermostat probe and Deep Heat Projector

I've just installed the Deep Heat Projector into my new vivarium but have seen conflicting advice as to where to position the probe for the (microclimate OLED) dimming thermostat.

One source in here suggests just outside the cone of projection but then I read that it should be positioned on the hot spot.

The current hotspot is a hide created from lumps of slate that have been glued together (this is likely to change to something a little bigger as I've gone from getting a corn snake to a kingsnake). This new one (when built) will be bigger but still slate but stuck onto a frame made from ceramic tiles) but the top does have a larger single piece of roofing slate covering some of it (the rest will be built up with the smaller pieces).

So where should I be putting the probe? At the moment it's just resting on the back edge of the hide.

I know that you need to let this "burn in" but how long before you see any real effect? (it's only been running just over a day and stupidly i programmed the stat for a nighttime drop instead of just letting it run). But the stat is struggling to get above 25 Celsius. (temp gun on the top of the hide though is hitting about 31. Inside the hide about 24).

Not sure if the picture upload worked but if not then it's also at https://firstsnakejourney.files.word...5383163791.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Confused about positioning of thermostat probe and Deep Heat Projector-dsc_0132.jpg  

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Premier Member

with DHP we measure 'available energy' rather than heated air (heated air is IR-C which although warm carries less energy per photon)

So, i always put the probe just outside of the main projection zone under the lamp. This then reads the energy that is hitting the basking area,

This then becomes the prime energy source, then of course the heat radiates away from the basking zone as IR-C which warms the air.

Typically it takes 5-7 days for this to reach the max level..

You should not struggle, i use single lamps in much bigger vivs and with mesh tops and get temps in the high 30s when run on full pelt.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 29-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Regular

Thanks John.

I'm probably panicking (and impatient) a little early. Just was starting to get concerned that the probe hadn't gone above 24.9 all morning - until about 2 minutes before I left the flat at 2.30pm when it finally ticked over to 25. (of course it's also "recovering from the night time drop - which won't be happening again until Friday when there will hopefully be a snake in there).

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Premier Member

Just make sure that the rocks below the lamp are thick, slate is good! they should be 12-15" from the lamp. Then use your non-contact thermometer to measure the actual energy on the rock surface. The air temp which the probe will be part reading will always be lower than the actual energy provided below the lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSnakeJourney View Post
Thanks John.

I'm probably panicking (and impatient) a little early. Just was starting to get concerned that the probe hadn't gone above 24.9 all morning - until about 2 minutes before I left the flat at 2.30pm when it finally ticked over to 25. (of course it's also "recovering from the night time drop - which won't be happening again until Friday when there will hopefully be a snake in there).

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 30-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Just make sure that the rocks below the lamp are thick, slate is good! they should be 12-15" from the lamp. Then use your non-contact thermometer to measure the actual energy on the rock surface. The air temp which the probe will be part reading will always be lower than the actual energy provided below the lamp
Thanks again John

I know this is going to soumd "dumb" but if the two hot spots (top of hide and the top of the sloping "shelf" are both coming up at about 30c - do I just drop the temp on the thermostat down to whatever the thermostat is reading? Otherwise won't it keep going till the probe reads whatever the thermostat is set to and potentially overheating the two high spots? (so if the hot-spot shows 30c, but the probe reads 25, do I set the thermostat to 25c).

Old 30-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Premier Member

It is best to keep making tiny adjustments to probe placement until you get a workable and accurate solution to control

Quote:
Thanks again John

I know this is going to soumd "dumb" but if the two hot spots (top of hide and the top of the sloping "shelf" are both coming up at about 30c - do I just drop the temp on the thermostat down to whatever the thermostat is reading? Otherwise won't it keep going till the probe reads whatever the thermostat is set to and potentially overheating the two high spots? (so if the hot-spot shows 30c, but the probe reads 25, do I set the thermostat to 25c).

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Regular

Thanks again for all your help.

Think I finally have it cracked. Not enough slate under the unit. Fiixed that now with a large stack and have the probe fairly near to the stack and just have to find a way of keeping the probe in place now. But the vivarium is now heating up.
Attached Thumbnails
Confused about positioning of thermostat probe and Deep Heat Projector-dsc_01416728828523630806740.jpg  

Old 05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Premier Member

That's great. Yes, the thicker and darker the better

your little pet will be delighted.

Quote:
Thanks again for all your help.

Think I finally have it cracked. Not enough slate under the unit. Fiixed that now with a large stack and have the probe fairly near to the stack and just have to find a way of keeping the probe in place now. But the vivarium is now heating up.

www.arcadiareptile.com