UV Flood vs Standard t5 and relector and some general advice. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies > Arcadia

Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Egg
Default UV Flood vs Standard t5 and relector and some general advice.

Hi

I'm new to these forums I moved from beardeddragon.org hoping seen as were all UK based I can get a bit more help

And I've also spied arcadia john who should be able to answer this for me

My local reptile shop swears by these new arcadia flood canopies bringing out colour in lizards who normally dont colour in captivity but also helped their tree monitors start to mate! So this flood sounds awesome.

I'm getting a couple of new bearded dragons so I'm setting up their 4 ft vivs and I'm wondering what would be better for them. This canopy its only 24cm so would only be 1/3 of the length of the tank? Or the standard 12% t5 bulb with reflector? Should I get the longest one possible - this would cover all the tank. Or should I get the one down which would cover 2/3 of the tank?

Also do the standard t5 controllers allow for 2 bulbs to be connected? So i would only need one controller for 2 vivs?

I know the canopy is cheaper and only need bulbs replaced every year - but money is really not an option I want to make sure these beardies get the best home possible.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Premier Member

hi, yes no problem

The UVFLOOD is HOT5 which is why it is so powerful. It also uses a fantastic flood reflector that allows the capture an re-placing of light and energy from light over a very targeted area.

So for small enclosures and as an add on to a standard T5 system the FLOOD is worth every penny! In fact it is the product that I am most happy with. the difference with the flood is that it is in effect 2 very short T5s welded together, that's why you get a wide area of emission.

yes we do make twin linear T5 controllers. I will explain in a mo.

so T5 is great! it is supper powerful and flicker free and in most cases cheaper to run. It will allow you to re-create the average wild index as experience by the wild animal and as such properly energise your animal.

This is of course dependant on the safe and effective running of the light and shade method. This simply means the provision of a wild index of a targeted area that is matched with heat. So all of the light and heat at one end. This is then matched with a gradient into cool and shade.

so in a 4' viv you would use a 39w 34" lamp and reflector alongside a stat controlled heat source

so you have a choice. get a single D3+ 12% linear lamp and run it alongside your heat.

you would need

ACRE1U5 x1 this is a single 24-39w controller
FD3P39T5 x1 this is the lamp
ALRS39 x1 this is the all important reflector

or you could increase the width of emission and use a twin system

so

ACRE2U5 x1 this is the twin 24-39w controller
ALRS39 x2 this is the reflectors
and your choice of either X2 12% lamps or x1 125 and x1 6%

or my fav at the mo and a new option that is really causing animals to blaze with colour is

option one, so a single 39w unit with stat controlled heat source and a D3+ UVFLOOD fitted alongside it at basking.

This will dramatically increase the area of emission and allow the animals to self regulate well.

I would use the linear lamp as your during the day full time system and then have the UVFLOOD on a timer coming on at 11.00am till 3 or 4 pm

good luck!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleD View Post
Hi

I'm new to these forums I moved from beardeddragon.org hoping seen as were all UK based I can get a bit more help

And I've also spied arcadia john who should be able to answer this for me

My local reptile shop swears by these new arcadia flood canopies bringing out colour in lizards who normally dont colour in captivity but also helped their tree monitors start to mate! So this flood sounds awesome.

I'm getting a couple of new bearded dragons so I'm setting up their 4 ft vivs and I'm wondering what would be better for them. This canopy its only 24cm so would only be 1/3 of the length of the tank? Or the standard 12% t5 bulb with reflector? Should I get the longest one possible - this would cover all the tank. Or should I get the one down which would cover 2/3 of the tank?

Also do the standard t5 controllers allow for 2 bulbs to be connected? So i would only need one controller for 2 vivs?

I know the canopy is cheaper and only need bulbs replaced every year - but money is really not an option I want to make sure these beardies get the best home possible.

Thanks

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Egg

Thanks a million John

Off to buy a flood and a linear t5 system (with reflector ) - never actually occurred to me to use both and get best of both worlds! Ill pop it on the timer like you suggested too.

I will also be getting a flood to add to my rescue's vivs we'll see if this makes a difference to them too although so far they are thriving.

Might cost a little more than anticipated but I'm sure my BF will settle for a card for his birthday this year :P
Arcadiajohn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen

I think I know what shop you are talking about. And if im right id be very wary of any advice. I have been in a couple of times and have been told that I dont want to waste my money on t5 strips coz t8 is much better. He then told me that he didnt stock t5 and only had t8. And that I would only need 1 arcadia flood for my 8x8x3 iguana viv and argued with me whe I said he was wrong. Pm me if you like to confirm its the same place.
Old 16-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Premier Member

This would indeed be very bad and VERY mis-informed advice!

by definition HOT5 is 2-3 times more powerful than T8 and as such projects light and energy from light further accordingly.

If you have any questions at all please let me know, I am only too happy to help.

If you want to PM me the shops name and it is still the case we can ensure a period of re-education for them

thanks again

john

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMc View Post
I think I know what shop you are talking about. And if im right id be very wary of any advice. I have been in a couple of times and have been told that I dont want to waste my money on t5 strips coz t8 is much better. He then told me that he didnt stock t5 and only had t8. And that I would only need 1 arcadia flood for my 8x8x3 iguana viv and argued with me whe I said he was wrong. Pm me if you like to confirm its the same place.

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 16-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Forum Citizen

Cheers john. I posted about this a month or 2 back asking you about problems with the t5 coz he had said that they were waiting on a new version from arcadia 2. Ill pm you
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Egg
Default UV Flood alone?

Hi

Iím hoping Arcadia John is around to help me with this - Iíve read this (old) thread so far, and looked at some of the products. The single lamp setup (option 1) seemed to show a picture of a twin controller, which confused me....

Anyway, the issue is this - I currently have the D3+ UV Flood 24W as my only UVB lamp in a 4ft viv. Is this unsuitable for my bearded dragon? I have a 75w basking lamp on a dimmer thermostat at one end, with the flood lamp starting next to that and then a shady area the other end. Iím sure this is more lighting than my poor rescue dragon ever had before, but if itís not correct, please advise, so I can give her the best option.

Many thanks
Mand
Old 08-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Premier Member

If you set it up correctly and it is not over a mesh, then it is able to do the job in terms of UV projection. The only issue is, the area of light projected. We need to light the whole animal, which is why i released the UVFLOOD in 55w also, This will easily cover an adult dragon.

Tech has moved on as has the theory behind this. I would now suggest that if you have a 4' long viv that you add a 24w or 39w ProT5 unit alongside your UVFLOOD and run them together. This will allow you to create a wider photogradient in which the dragon can easily self-regulate.

It will then have a UV rich and bright basking area and a graduation of decreasing energy as it travels down towards the cool end,

That is the most up to date thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimand View Post
Hi

Iím hoping Arcadia John is around to help me with this - Iíve read this (old) thread so far, and looked at some of the products. The single lamp setup (option 1) seemed to show a picture of a twin controller, which confused me....

Anyway, the issue is this - I currently have the D3+ UV Flood 24W as my only UVB lamp in a 4ft viv. Is this unsuitable for my bearded dragon? I have a 75w basking lamp on a dimmer thermostat at one end, with the flood lamp starting next to that and then a shady area the other end. Iím sure this is more lighting than my poor rescue dragon ever had before, but if itís not correct, please advise, so I can give her the best option.

Many thanks
Mand

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 08-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Egg
Default Thank you

Thanks for the info John, thatís kind of what I thought you would say. Iíll get one ordered and installed ASAP

Best wishes
Mand
Old 12-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Premier Member

happy to help

www.arcadiareptile.com

Tags
arcadia , bearded dragon , lighting