Reptile Forums banner

Senegal parrot.

23K views 208 replies 18 participants last post by  Basin79 
#1 ·
Meet Pandora. I've had her a fee months. She's 7 months old. Took to me really well and fast. I have a bull mastiff that hates other animals so had to be careful with him. Although they don't get on Samson has been absolutely tremendous. Here are some pics.

Day I got her.

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheers. They're both phenomenal.

#4 ·
She's thoroughly enjoying a crunchy left over roach that the Asian mantis part ate.

#5 ·
Chilli for breakfast.

#8 ·
All that commotion in her cage to come out and all she wanted to do was sleep on my shoulder. She's an absolute star.

#9 ·
Gave Pandora's cage a change around to keep things fresh for her.

Reactions: scottishbluebird
#10 ·
What a cutie! Looks like you've got a nice setup too. Good to get her on a wide variety of foods young! Just be sure those are feeder roaches, and not wild ones;) I grew up with a house full of parrots who all went after bugs any chance they got. One got worms once after he got hold of a (wild) black house cricket. My amazon is too much of a he-diva to eat bugs:whistling2: but he will eat (plain) scrambled eggs and a little cheese here and there. Best of luck with her!

#11 ·
Cheers, and yes the roaches are breed by me for some of my other pets.

She's not a fan of eggs yet, although I'm sure that will change.

I read a great little quote that at first surprised me but now owning a parrot myself is pretty much bang on.

"Parrots, the pigeons of the jungle".

Reactions: Kiwibird
#13 ·
For the most part yes. Although she does have her moments as you'd expect.

#15 ·

#17 ·
She very rarely uses the perches that came with the cage. She uses her oyster shell and natural perches loads though. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely be on the look out for a big apple tree branch now for her. Just any apple tree (crab etc) and any preparation needed?

#18 ·
We use the Bramley apple branches and stripped them of bark, although realised the birds could do it, but we still do it on some of the branches! Any apple tree - eating or cooking, not sure about crab apple. Cherry or pear would be ok, but might be worth checking plus other fruit trees. Certainly avoid pine/conifer tree and similar

Our Senegal has chewed a hole in the curtains, the budgies have stripped a wall of woodchip paper in their aviary and the African Grey has chewed a wood shelf, the edge of the tortoise table - certainly need to keep an eye on what they can reach! I wouldn't swap them for anything though.

#19 ·
Thanks. Really appreciate that.

#21 ·
Cheers Ron. Found this site.

#22 ·
Just like kids. Spend a fortune on toys and they decide the free takeaway menu is the best.

#24 ·
Bloody hell is it bad for them?

#26 ·
Thank you. I never gave it a thought.

#28 ·

#30 ·
I love senagals, there little flying clowns, does she sleep on her back,I had one 20 years ago and mine did all the time.i lost my blue front to a stroke a while ago at 47 years old and life without a parrot in the house is quiet and boring.

[URL=http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/Badgerroy123/image.jpg56_zpsaiyxbnnb.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/Badgerroy123/image.jpg48_zpsxvtpubah.jpg]image[/URL]
She sleeps normally. She's a noisy little bugger though. Always wants to be fussed over. She's the first parrot I've ever owned.

Sorry about your loss, can't imagine losing a pet/friend after all those years.

#32 ·
I bet. That's the only downside to pets. It's horrible losing them. Can't imagine what it's like losing one after all those years together.

#34 ·
Pandora is just over 14 month old. Isn't talking English yet but mutters away. Wouldn't bother me if she doesn't talk though. Her little mutters are fun.

Reactions: Badgerroy
#35 ·
Mine was called polly ,(I was 10 when I got him remember,at 10all parrots are called polly), he had a huge vocabulary and for some reason used to laugh like a dirty old man. Over the years he picked new words and sounds up and would stop saying other things, then sometimes years later would start saying them again. And like a real kid he would pick certain words up very easly,quite often words you didn't want him to and you could guarantee he would say them when my gran was around.

#36 ·
Pandora enjoying a chicken bone. She loves breaking into them to get the marrow out.

#37 ·

#38 ·

Reactions: Arcadiajohn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.