Senegal parrot. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Avian

Old 24-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird View Post
What a cutie! Looks like you've got a nice setup too. Good to get her on a wide variety of foods young! Just be sure those are feeder roaches, and not wild ones I grew up with a house full of parrots who all went after bugs any chance they got. One got worms once after he got hold of a (wild) black house cricket. My amazon is too much of a he-diva to eat bugs but he will eat (plain) scrambled eggs and a little cheese here and there. Best of luck with her!
Cheers, and yes the roaches are breed by me for some of my other pets.

She's not a fan of eggs yet, although I'm sure that will change.

I read a great little quote that at first surprised me but now owning a parrot myself is pretty much bang on.

"Parrots, the pigeons of the jungle".
Kiwibird likes this.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Is she noisy Basin? I would oh so love a parrot of some kind, Im not very good with noise levels and hanker after quiet.
Old 25-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_20one View Post
Is she noisy Basin? I would oh so love a parrot of some kind, Im not very good with noise levels and hanker after quiet.
For the most part yes. Although she does have her moments as you'd expect.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post

"Parrots, the pigeons of the jungle".
Or as I like to call them, tree-gulls They really will eat just about anything and can be quite aggressive in their pursuit of food! If mine doesn't like his dinner, he'll come over to the table, stomp onto your plate and help himself to yours Given their abilities to fly and climb, you have to be really careful to keep potentially toxic foods (like avocados or chocolate) where they have no possibility of getting into it. Thankfully, they are pretty omnivorous and very few foods are outright toxic, though junk food, sweets, salty food, dairy and protein-rich foods should be fed only in very small amounts.
Basin79 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Postaholic Member

Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 PM

Cute

With all our birds, we've replaced their perches with apple tree branches - much kinder to their feet than the ones that come with the cages.
Basin79 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
Cute

With all our birds, we've replaced their perches with apple tree branches - much kinder to their feet than the ones that come with the cages.
She very rarely uses the perches that came with the cage. She uses her oyster shell and natural perches loads though. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely be on the look out for a big apple tree branch now for her. Just any apple tree (crab etc) and any preparation needed?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 PM

We use the Bramley apple branches and stripped them of bark, although realised the birds could do it, but we still do it on some of the branches! Any apple tree - eating or cooking, not sure about crab apple. Cherry or pear would be ok, but might be worth checking plus other fruit trees. Certainly avoid pine/conifer tree and similar

Our Senegal has chewed a hole in the curtains, the budgies have stripped a wall of woodchip paper in their aviary and the African Grey has chewed a wood shelf, the edge of the tortoise table - certainly need to keep an eye on what they can reach! I wouldn't swap them for anything though.
Basin79 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
We use the Bramley apple branches and stripped them of bark, although realised the birds could do it, but we still do it on some of the branches! Any apple tree - eating or cooking, not sure about crab apple. Cherry or pear would be ok, but might be worth checking plus other fruit trees. Certainly avoid pine/conifer tree and similar

Our Senegal has chewed a hole in the curtains, the budgies have stripped a wall of woodchip paper in their aviary and the African Grey has chewed a wood shelf, the edge of the tortoise table - certainly need to keep an eye on what they can reach! I wouldn't swap them for anything though.
Thanks. Really appreciate that.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 AM
No Life Member

Crab apple is fine, too.