Which one? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Avian

Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Regular
Default Which one?

I have posted previously about double yellow headed amazons and Senegal’s as pets, but after conducting lots of research, I have changed my mind due to a number of factors, two of which being time and space.

Do you recommend
-a budgie
-a sun conure

I aware that they are different in size, but is one better for beginners than the other or are they about equal?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 03:50 PM

If you going for budgerigars you must get more than one as they are 'flock' birds. Granted it won't be so easy to tame as a single one, but they are much happier in a group.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
If you going for budgerigars you must get more than one as they are 'flock' birds. Granted it won't be so easy to tame as a single one, but they are much happier in a group.
Okay, thank you, I had read that they are okay alone but I will certainly bare that in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Never kept budgies but conures do have a rather ear piercing scream. But maybe a hand reared one may not be as noisy.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
Never kept budgies but conures do have a rather ear piercing scream. But maybe a hand reared one may not be as noisy.
That may be an issue then, as we do live in a semi-detached in a town with lots of other pets. How often do they scream?
Old 03-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel463 View Post
That may be an issue then, as we do live in a semi-detached in a town with lots of other pets. How often do they scream?
Parrots will screech whenever they feel like it. Happy, mad, alarmed they just don't have an off switch.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Quote:
Parrots will screech whenever they feel like it. Happy, mad, alarmed they just don't have an off switch.
Haha thanks, I will have to consider that !
Old 03-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Haha thanks, I will have to consider that !
I live in a terraced house and neither neighbour have complained about the noise. Whilst Pan can be loud (to me) compared to say a Cockatoo she's nothing. Some of those are almost as loud as a 747 taking off.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:30 PM

Living in a semi you may be better off with something small like a budgie they won't be as loud. I have an African grey and he never shuts up lol. Luckily we live in a detached. Still can be heard if the neighbours are in the garden though .
Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

All parrots are better in pairs or groups so I wouldn't make that your deciding factor. I personally wouldn't condone keeping any parrot alone if possible (There are of course exceptions, some can struggle to get along with other birds if they haven't been raised that way) but if you say that time is a factor then you will definitely need more than one as they should not be on their own for any length of time. We have a pair of Sun Conures and have had numerus Budgies over the years too. The noise level for the two species is very different. Sun Conures are stunning birds but the call is impressive, and not what you would expect from such a small bird. It is not constant, though what will set them off will of course vary with each individual. Ours will scream when someone or something they don't recognise enters the room or is seen outside the window. They will also do it seemingly randomly. Our other birds can set them off too. If one starts it is like a chain reaction and the result is deafening. We have larger species here too, such as African Greys and Amazons, and I can say that the Sun Conures are the loudest and most piercing by far. Personality wise I cannot fault a Sun Conure, they are wonderful birds to keep, and being true parrots rather than parakeets (like Budgies) there seems to be a bit more going on there. We also have 4 Green Cheeked Conures. Have you considered these? Their character is very similar to the Sun Conures and are full of personality. The noise is a little more bearable though and, while they can still be loud, I wouldn't consider them much worse than a Cockatiel.

Last edited by corvid2e1; 03-02-2019 at 09:41 PM..