Breeding help and ideas - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 28-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Egg
Smile Breeding help and ideas

Hello!

I have an idea of starting to breed reptiles to sell.

I want to start small and not overload myself and not be able to keep up with the cost of it all then slowly increase the small business.

If anyone could message me with advice on how to start up that would be greatly appreciated. For example, budget but decent snake racks, as i know proper, purpose build ones are so expensive!

Any advice / tips or anything at all will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

Not what you want to hear but the reality of the situation is that breeding reptiles can easily become a full time job, rarely does it ever provide a full time income.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2019: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons

Last edited by Central Scotland Reptiles; 28-02-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Super Regular

One thing that will inevitably cross your mind is breeding your own feeder animals. I can tell you that for every minute you spend on snakes you'll spend an hour on feeder animals! And then you'll realise that rats are cool wee creatures, multis are fun with their angry stance and bang its nipped you again. And, mice smell awful. Just so's ye know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Super Regular

Sorry, the other thing is, to make money you'll need money. You'll notice that the guys 10 or so years ago were all over the newest royal Python morphs, have dumped them all and are now doing the latest retic morphs, in a couple of years those will be dumped wholesale for the next thing, maybe bloods or GTP morphs, who knows. But if you've got investors, and can get a few high end animals you might stand a chance, but your eye will need to be right on the button when the moment to sell comes. As they say, if you want to be a millionaire from selling snakes, start as a billionaire. All the best
Old 11-03-2017, 05:38 PM
huh

welcome to the forum

Have you considered buying a used rack? Or building one from wood? Any decent local carpenter/builder can turn your sketched design into a rack as long as you provide some example RUBs and explain the heating system you'll be adding.

Anything else will depend on your current reptile keeping/breeding and business experience ... size of operation you want to start with ... UK, European, or International market? Working with something rare? Risking just one species?

Responsible breeding starts with you being certain that there is demand for the hatchlings.
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)

Tags
advice , breeding , breedinghelp , racks