Confused! Male Corn avoiding female - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 26-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Egg
Default Confused! Male Corn avoiding female

Hi Peeps!
Now I know it's not exactly corn breeding season but all my corns were put together late this year. No brumation and successful clutches that have done well.

Now for the life of me, one male would not mate at all! He was literally not far off of 3, a few days. He was one of my hold backs and was tried with one of females.

There was no success I even brumated late to try and kick start.

All was good, intro went well and all the right behaviour was shown...10 mins and then he literally avoided the female, I left for half an hour but despite all of her seductive attempts, she got rejected by the big wimp!

Any idea why? Never had this brum late, brum early, no brum with any of my snakes in over 5 years. Just this dopey sausage.

Any ideas, suggestions or known reasons from personal experiences please get back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Hatchling

I can't offer any advice, just consolation. My granite pied male is doing the same thing!
Old 20-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Premier Member

How sure are you that it is a male?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Hatchling

Well I was 95% sure but not as sure now lmao. I bought him as a he, and he (?) has 140 scales past the cloaca but I'm a bit cackhanded so don't trust myself to probe!
Old 21-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Regular

My first thought is also are you sure of the sex. Aside from that, he could just be a big wimp, might need another year perhaps.
Old 31-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysocks View Post
Well I was 95% sure but not as sure now lmao. I bought him as a he, and he (?) has 140 scales past the cloaca but I'm a bit cackhanded so don't trust myself to probe!
Most recent reptile shops will probe for you, if you have one near by I would have it checked. Usually male corns in the early spring won't leave the females alone.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

My first-time male was doing that earlier this year, but he's gotten himself figured out. I previously had a male who refused to breed at 3 years old, and then was super enthusiastic once he was 4 years old. Some just mature later. And a young male can sometimes seem a little intimidated by a large size difference.
My first-time male immediately went for a female the same size as him, but when placed with a much larger female he was hiding from her initially.