Leo eggs keep molding - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 27-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Regular
Default Leo eggs keep molding

Hey,

First time leo breeder here. Two of my leos mated beginning of april and since then she has laid 4 pairs of eggs. This is her first breeding season and she is fairly small, she was exactly 55 grams when I paired her up. Ive marked all the eggs the with a sharpie, scooped them all up within the hour and put them into my sealed tupperware filled with vermiculite moisted around 1:1 and put into the reptibator set to 85F.

Out of those eight eggs only 1 is still alive and going strong, all the others have molded.

I can't figure out what im doing wrong. As far as I can tell I'm following the standard leo breeding procedure to a T, but I still have what seem like firm, perfectly good eggs molding. But I must be doing something right because the one eggs is going strong and was laid in the second batch a month and a half ago.
Should I be continuing to pair up the mom and dad throughout the breedimg season? They havent copulated since the first time but Ive introduced them again since and the female while not vicously fighting off the male just seems kind of uninterested and copulation doesnt occur. Any advice or idea what im doing wrong?

For what its worth my little female is doing great. Very alert and active and eating voraciously. She can eat more supers in a day than my beardie if i let her.

Edit: should mention ive played around a little with moisture between batches, going with slightly lower or higher ratios. Didnt seem to help.

Last edited by Catzo; 27-06-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Either their is too much humidty or they weren't fertile to start with.
Old 27-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
Either their is too much humidty or they weren't fertile to start with.
How would I fix the eggs not being fertile? Do i allow them to mate throughout the breeding season?

Also, that one egg just hatched! And its beautiful and seems healthy and alert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-06-2018, 10:53 PM

You can't do much about making sure they are fertile that's down to fate really, your not doing anything wrong and neither are they. You may just have too much moisture in there or those eggs that have failed could have been infertile or damaged on moving them. Did you roll them at all or move them carefully and placed them in the incubator as they were laid?

Congratulations on the one that has hatched.
Old 28-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
You can't do much about making sure they are fertile that's down to fate really, your not doing anything wrong and neither are they. You may just have too much moisture in there or those eggs that have failed could have been infertile or damaged on moving them. Did you roll them at all or move them carefully and placed them in the incubator as they were laid?

Congratulations on the one that has hatched.
Ya I marked the tops as they were laid before i touched them and put them in the incubator just as they were laid.

If she lays anymore ill try bringing the moisture down a bit but I think you are right in that they just werent fertile because i have brought the moisture down for some of the batches and they still molded.

Between my other female refusing to lay any eggs at all and this one possibly only having 1 fertile egg this has turned jnto a much different breeding season than i was expecting! I was getting ready to house 20 babies and it looks like i might just have the one! Funny how that works

Last edited by Catzo; 28-06-2018 at 11:18 PM..