Deformed hatchlings - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Hatchling
Default Deformed hatchlings

Hi all

I have a clutch of bearded dragon eggs - it is day 50 and 4 have hatched already (!!!). Sadly, 3 of the 4 have deformed back legs the legs are tiny and twisted - I am going to cull them.

Thoughts on why this may have happened? The eggs were incubated on damp vermiculite at 85F and mother was supplemented well during her pregnancy. The pairing was hypo het trans x hypo trans. It's a mega early hatch so I'm wondering what happened here!

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 AM

I can't answer your question but is it absolutely necessary to 'cull' them? How severe is the disability with respect to a good quality of life ie could they hunt for themselves?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

Can't comment on why this happened - maybe just one of these things?

You may wish to consult with a suitably qualified veterinarian as to whether euthanasia is the best option for these individuals - he/she will also be able to perform this for you too if this is the best course of action.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2019: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Have you bred from this pair before? It could be a genetic problem and probably not a good idea to breed from them again. Or something wrong with the humidity. Difficult to say. If you do decide to euthanize the little ones make sure you get a vet to do it properly as said that way there is less chance of something going wrong and causing unessecary suffering.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Hatchling

I've never bred this pair before, I think I won't again.

They cannot use their back legs at all - to me, an adult dragon dragging itself around using only its front legs is heartbreaking. I can't in good conscience let them have that kind of life :'(
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 PM

No I understand they don't sound good. So sad. I don't envy you having to deal with this. I had a baby ackie hatch with a deformed front leg which is very small and cannot be used but he gets around just fine on his other legs and can catch his food the majority of time and I make sure I supplement his food by doing a certain amount of hand feeding. He is very small for his age also but he was a fighter from day one so I decided to give him a chance. I hope you can help these little ones pass peacefully.
daysocks likes this.

Tags
bearded dragon , breeding , hatchlings