Royal Python Incubation Humiditity - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Creator of RFUK - Now Retired.
Send a message via MSN to t-bo
Lightbulb Royal Python Incubation Humiditity

What humidity do you guys keep in your incubator for Royal Python eggs?

Its weird because of all the sites ive checked most dont give a definate humidity to aim for.. I believe it should be just under 100%?..... mine is at between 97% & 99%

Cheers

Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Citizen
Location: In a world of my own as usual or Clacton as others call it
Send a message via MSN to Greenphase Send a message via Skype™ to Greenphase

Chris everyone i know that has done royals aim for around 95-97% humidity and they seem to do really well.In all honesty as long as you keep an eye on them and make sure they dont dimple or get too wet they should be fine.I have seen everyone i know incubate at around 88-90 degrees and have great hatch rates as well if it helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Creator of RFUK - Now Retired.
Send a message via MSN to t-bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boas n Burms View Post
Chris everyone i know that has done royals aim for around 95-97% humidity and they seem to do really well.In all honesty as long as you keep an eye on them and make sure they dont dimple or get too wet they should be fine.I have seen everyone i know incubate at around 88-90 degrees and have great hatch rates as well if it helps.
Thanks Ryan... i'll lower the humidity by a couple of clicks then just to be safe.

Old 14-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to royalpython

I think the eggs can hatch in as little as 75% humidity. I believe the main aim is to make sure they don't collapse and dehydrate. I incubated eggs at 93% last year with no problem. this year i just did it by feel of the vermiculite and used air tight containers (not completely air tight, but not a lot of humidity will be lost in them), and it did the business for me. Ralph does a measurement by volume. 8 cups of vermiculite to 1 cup of water. If at all intrigued ralph has a lot of video's, here's the one for the vermiculite ratio.

YouTube - 2008 clutch # 1 - part 2
Old 14-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Citizen
Location: In a world of my own as usual or Clacton as others call it
Send a message via MSN to Greenphase Send a message via Skype™ to Greenphase

Royal i have known to low a humidity to cause problem feeders in the past not just on royals but also on other species of snake as well.I find that the higher you can keep the humidity during incubation the better chance you have of getting the hatchlings to feed quickly.

This is only my experience with species such as corns,kings,milks and burmese but i have spoken to a lot of royal breeders over the years and they have pretty much come to the same conclusion
Old 16-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to royalpython

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boas n Burms View Post
Royal i have known to low a humidity to cause problem feeders in the past not just on royals but also on other species of snake as well.I find that the higher you can keep the humidity during incubation the better chance you have of getting the hatchlings to feed quickly.

This is only my experience with species such as corns,kings,milks and burmese but i have spoken to a lot of royal breeders over the years and they have pretty much come to the same conclusion
Very intersting info there