Home made incubators - Page 23 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 17-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Regular

ok so im hoping to get my first clutch of eggs in the new year. pairing my royals atm so don't know what to expect to be honest. but I have a 3ft viv I was hoping to convert in to an incubator. so I spose I was hoping for some advice on the best way to convert it if it is plausible. I already have the viv with with ceramic bulb fitted although I do plan on moving it. I also have an on/off stat but im not certain this is best for the job ? if anyone could PM me with help that would be great

thanks craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigy88 View Post
ok so im hoping to get my first clutch of eggs in the new year. pairing my royals atm so don't know what to expect to be honest. but I have a 3ft viv I was hoping to convert in to an incubator. so I spose I was hoping for some advice on the best way to convert it if it is plausible. I already have the viv with with ceramic bulb fitted although I do plan on moving it. I also have an on/off stat but im not certain this is best for the job ? if anyone could PM me with help that would be great

thanks craig
You want a pulse stat or one of the digital habistat on/offs. They can keep temps to 0.1 degree. The normal on/offs are useless for incubators.
I'm not sure about converting though so done else will have to help, I only know fridges lol
Good luck with your pairings

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

New website coming soon.....

Old 17-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Regular

thanks bud. I just found a habistat dimming stat. would that work ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Premier Citizen

what a great thread! was just pricing incubators (for the eggs I don't have yet)

would the polybox method work with a RUB do you think? or would they not insulate enough?

Reason being I seem to have an endless amount of occasionally used rubs kicking around ...
Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Hatchling

hi,

i have my poly box, heat mat is on order.

but my question is -----

has anyone ever used the polychips as a layer ? I'm not sure I'm explaining it right
Horsfields Tortoise 0.0.1
Guppies 1.2.16
betta 1.0.0
Old 13-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Egg

For the first method do you have to make the vermiculite damp once and the. It stays damp or do you have to keep damping it thanks
Old 20-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Premier Citizen

One of my bearded dragons has layed her first ever clutch, out of 12 eggs only three appeared fertile, and she layed them far earlier than expected so we hadnt managed to put an incubator together. (We thought we had three weeks yet, and i am guessing she had somehow managed to have a sneaky session with one of the boys when i have cleaned the vivariums out!)

I have got an old vivarium that i have cleaned out, and bought a plastic tub to go inside it, the plastic tub is about 3 inches deep with water and has an aquarium heater in it set to 85F, theres two stacks of tiles in the water on which is sat a plastic tub with vermiculite and the tub sits about inch into the water, the vermiculite is about two inches deep, damp (i was told get it wet till you can squeeze it and it sticks together, but doesnt pour out water).

Because of the levels of humidity, i havent closed the lids on the plastic tubs but instead left a centrimetre wide gap along the side to allow air flow, the vivarium doors are closed.

There is condensation on the inside of the large tub, and also out onto the vivarium doors, not really on the inner tub though. Surface temperature of the vermiculite is staying between 83.5 and 85.5F (the aquarium heater seems to be pretty accurate in holding the water temp within a few degrees F and i am using a heat gun to measure surface temperatures)

I know this isnt ideal, but it was the best i could put together at such short notice. What i am wondering, is will it do the job?
Should i be panicking and making a proper incubator or buying one asap?

With only three of the eggs being fertile to begin with i am really anxious about these its the first time i have had eggs to look after and its my females first ever clutch i feel quiet a lot of pressure over it!

I incubated the ones that were infertile, or i now believe were infertile (yellowish brown tint and sand stuck to them and wouldnt brush off, and were half the size of the white ones) but after three days there was no sign of improvement so i have put them in the freezer.