When do you offer your first feed? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 22-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
there is one snake particualarly that comes to mind.. a yearling aboreal colubrid, i know you know the one i mean YG..

a tip with non feeders, is to put them into cooling as soon as they show signs of not wanting to take food. i know people who have been breeding 30+ years who do this, quite often when the snake is warmed back up a month or so later. it will take straight away.
Very good tip

The owner is an absolute moron, so I don't really judge the poor snakes weight on anythin other than that.

I do have yearling royals that are pushing 5,6,700g, but they are in proportion and are fed an appropriate sized meal, mainly because if I am honest, getting them to 1500g is easy, but fat snakes tend to slug out, when I want the snakes to breed and produce fertile clutches, slugs are no use to me.
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
i know... but then its the fashion these days isn't it.. to try and cram as much food down the throat of your snake as you can, and then to boast that a juvenile snake can eat an adult sized meal..
dont think it was aimed at my post, but just incase it was, im not trying to cram as much food down my snakes throat as possible, they are just really big for their age, and i dont know why, im presuming its due to the mum having such a crap clutch that all the goodness went to these 3.
and i dont agree with power feeding just to breed etc, if they are the right weight to breed, then they can breed, but if they arent, theres always next year.
Old 22-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to buddy

what about Beardies when would you first feed baby beardies a started after 1-2 days of hatching is this too quick

NOW FOR SALE PLEASE PM FOR MORE DETAILS
1FEMALE BEARDIES 1YR 3x female beardies sold
2 MALE BEARDIES 18MTHS
2 MALE MACK SNOWS(STUNNING)BANDED ALBINO CALI KING SNAKE M 6MTHSSOLD AMEL CORN F 1 YR

PLEASE PM FOR DETAILS X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
what about Beardies when would you first feed baby beardies a started after 1-2 days of hatching is this too quick
i would imagine its different that snakes, there motabalism (sp?) is a lot faster than a snake
Old 22-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
You need to feed lizards as soon as they start eating really, but this is after the first shed, usually 3-7 days after hatching. Then they need feeding 3x a day... and will be digesting all that food on a daily basis. This is a very different ballgame to snakes who need feeding one item a week

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Old 22-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiankinglover View Post
dont think it was aimed at my post, but just incase it was, im not trying to cram as much food down my snakes throat as possible, they are just really big for their age, and i dont know why, im presuming its due to the mum having such a crap clutch that all the goodness went to these 3.
and i dont agree with power feeding just to breed etc, if they are the right weight to breed, then they can breed, but if they arent, theres always next year.
no, was not aimed at anyone specifically, no-one had replied to YG's post when i started writing mine, so my reply was literally just based on his post.

i've had "giant" hatchlings too... and also mini ones.. just goes to show the variety of nature eh

N

only the small minded cannot see outside the box.

http://www.skunkshack.co.uk
Old 22-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
no, was not aimed at anyone specifically, no-one had replied to YG's post when i started writing mine, so my reply was literally just based on his post.

i've had "giant" hatchlings too... and also mini ones.. just goes to show the variety of nature eh

N
ahhh right, sorry

ye, i know, these are bigger than my late 07 rosy boa! they are currently on 2 pinks, but i think in a few feeds they will be ready to move up, the pinks arent even showing a lump in them! and ye, nature is quite amazing with all the variations!
Old 22-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to Crownan

BRBs. A few days after their first shed. Then every 7 days (ish) (I say ish because I never have a set feeding regime, so in reality it could be 5 days or 14 days.)

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, 1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa, 1.0 Rosy Boa, 2.2 Royal Python, 0.1 Borneo Blood Python, 0.0.2 Rough Greens, 1.0 Western Hognoses, 0.1 Tai Beauty, 1.0 Sinaloan Milk, 0.1 Chilean Rose, 0.1 Honduran Curly Hair, 0.1 Green Iguana, 1.0 Lineolated Parakeet, 0.1 Fraggle

Member #2726
RBUK #2 - 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R
Old 22-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to PSGeckos

We offer crickets to our hatchling geckos as soon as they have they're first greeny poo & their first shed

Old 22-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Corns

I try to feed mine there first food item as soon after there first shed as i can, I seem to get better first feed responce from doing it this way. After they feed i will feed every 5-10 days.

my msn :- [email protected]