Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Breeding (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/breeding/)
-   -   When do you offer your first feed? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/breeding/133669-when-do-offer-your-first.html)

Young_Gun 22-05-2008 12:25 PM

When do you offer your first feed?

I always allow hatchlings to shed and leave the first feed for 3-4 weeks.

More an more often people are feeding a couple of days to a week after hatching which to me is far too soon, they will still be digesting the egg sac.

When do you offer food?

toyah 22-05-2008 12:33 PM

That would depend on the species :)

Young_Gun 22-05-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyah (Post 1825563)
That would depend on the species :)

List the species then when you offer food :razz:

Nerys 22-05-2008 01:40 PM

colubrids.. after first 2-3 weeks..
(unless there is a show on and i need to get the "x feeds before they are sold" number up)
royals and boas.. after about 6 weeks..

i also feed hatchlings about once every 10 days to once a fortnight.

it does, of course, vary a little, if a hatchling "looks" to be thin and hungry, it gets fed regardless of times and dates..

N

Young_Gun 22-05-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerys (Post 1825821)
colubrids.. after first 2-3 weeks..
(unless there is a show on and i need to get the "x feeds before they are sold" number up)
royals and boas.. after about 6 weeks..

i also feed hatchlings about once every 10 days to once a fortnight.

it does, of course, vary a little, if a hatchling "looks" to be thin and hungry, it gets fed regardless of times and dates..

N

I agree with that, apart from once they are started my hatchies are fed every 5.

I just wonder why, when you see a royal feeding pic for example that is still plainly digesting its egg sac with the distended belly they get.

Nerys, have you always done it that way, if so then do you find you have less non feeders than other people or if you have done it differently do you find you have more that will start to feed when left versus when offered sooner?

emma_fyfe 22-05-2008 01:46 PM

i always feed my corns a few days to a week after they have had their first shed.

havent been breeding long but has always worked for me. usually feed them every 5-7 days after that

hermanlover 22-05-2008 01:47 PM

with my calis i fed them the day after their first shed, but to be honest they all wanted it. i didnt intend to feed them, just had a few pinkies left over as my rosy boa was in shed, so i didnt offer her food, and all the hatchlings took a pinkie each, but they are lot bigger than your average hatchling, so i doubt the yolk sac would of lasted as long, and they would of been pretty hungry by 3 weeks. but its their second feed, and they are already on 2 pinks, so they are pretty big.

toyah 22-05-2008 01:47 PM

I offer corns something just after their first shed (so approx 8 days) - but I know of some people who'll offer food as soon as they hatch, prior to the first shed and they'll often eat anyway.

Nerys 22-05-2008 01:51 PM

i know... but then its the fashion these days isn't it.. to try and cram as much food down the throat of your snake as you can, and then to boast that a juvenile snake can eat an adult sized meal..

there are so many people, for instance, with yearling snakes who look like fat adults already... half of them will be dead before their time from obesity issues, same as people would be, or anything else..

it does bug me, that in the age where we all know that fat is bad for your health.. people still insist on getting their snake as fat as possible.. its almost like its a point scoring game.. all these people who list endless weights and bang on about sizes for adolescent snakes.. and big wow the fact that their youngster can take a full grown mouse or whatever..

there is one snake particualarly that comes to mind.. a yearling aboreal colubrid, i know you know the one i mean YG..

this snake is designed to be a slim slender tree dwelling snake... yet at the age of a yearling.. this thing was as long and fat as a 4 year old corn snake.. personally i don't think a lot of its owner anyway, but thats by the by, the only good thing about it is that the snake will probably not live for long, and so not suffer too many years of abuse..

if your corn snake, does NOT look like a loaf of bread.. but instead looks like a round tube or baguette ... IT IS TOO FAT.

;)

a tip with non feeders, is to put them into cooling as soon as they show signs of not wanting to take food. i know people who have been breeding 30+ years who do this, quite often when the snake is warmed back up a month or so later. it will take straight away.

Athravan 22-05-2008 01:51 PM

I will offer corns their first feed the day after they have their first shed (7-10 days usually), but I'm not worried if it goes 2-3 weeks, if they're not hungry, they won't eat it, I don't think it will harm them to take a meal as soon as they've shed, at least, it's never harmed any of mine. I am usually under pressure by customers to have animals available as soon as I can (which is after a min. of 5 feeds usually) and I have never experienced any trend in non feeders over the last 10 years of breeding based on when I fed them (speaking of corns only though as I don't have enough years experience in anything else to make any generalisations)

Our common boas this year ate between 1-2 weeks after their shed, so around 2-3 weeks after birth and all have now had 5 feeds in succession with no non feeders there.

We feed once every 7 days for babies though, I know some corns will take it every 3-5 days but I prefer every 5-7, usually on the 7.