breeding beardeds - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 30-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Default breeding beardeds

hi i am looking in to breeding beardeds what is a good sizes tank to keep both in i have a 4ft tank
is that biger or not
and any information is good as well
i have an incubator,
lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

this is what hadesdragons told me, its informative
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to writing a full guide over the next few months about how I do it - unfortunately it's likely to take me that long to get the pictures I want!

Starting with the basics - it will cost you around £1,000 to get them to the point where they can be sold - if you do things responsibly, to minimise the risk of tail / toe nips and fights etc.

When a male and female are introduced, it usually only takes a few days to a couple of weeks for the male to "do his thing" - sometimes less. You will see him biting the back of the female's head, then climbing on top of her:

There's likely to be a lot of head bobbing / arm waving accompanying all this. It's common for the female to end up with missing scales, and small cuts are also seen sometimes if the males get too aggressive. As long as they are small and not oozing, they are fine to be treated with tamodine / tea tree cream. They will heal, but the female may end up with small scars. A female who has spent a week with an average male is unlikely to win any beauty contests.

Once mated, a female will usually lay a clutch of eggs after 4 weeks of being gravid. She will usually eat a lot more than usual during this time. Another clutch usually follows around 4 weeks after that. I use a washing up bowl full of damp sand for the females to lay in.

Eggs need incubating at between 82-86f. Don't turn them at any time - be careful when transferring them to the incubator, as they are quite fragile. The exact temperature isn't important (as long as it's within the range), but it is important that it stays the same - once you've picked a temperature, stick to it. Humidity should be fairly high, but not so high that condensation forms above the line of vermiculite / perlite that you are using for incubation. Getting a line of condensation level with the top of the substrate should give you optimal humidity. Given that your female will probably lay a second clutch before the first one, you may need two incubators. If you buy ready-made ones, they can cost up to £100 each.

At 84f, the hatch time is usually around 7-9 weeks. Babies will poke their heads out of the egg, and rest for up to 24 hours before breaking their way fully out.

Once out, they need leaving in the incubator for 24 hours, in individual tubs, with high humidity. This lets them absorb their yolk sacs fully; if they can't do this, they may be slower to grow.

They need housing in groups of five at the most; any more than this, and you run the risk of toe / tail nips. Each group of five needs a full setup - heat and UV. This is where most of your money will go; the second clutch will hatch before you can sell the first. As average clutches are usually 20-30 eggs, you need to prepare for up to 60 babies; that means 12 full setups, 12 UV tubes, 12 UV controllers etc. You might want to work out how much it will cost you to house the babies before you even consider breeding...

Babies need feeding 2-3 times per day, and can eat up to 50 crickets each per day. This is where the rest of your money will go - you have to feed up to 60 hungry babies for the next 6 weeks. Believe me, they eat a lot of crickets. A lot of food means lots of poo - up to twice a day depending on the baby, so they need cleaning out at least once a day. That's 12 full cleans per day, as well as 24-36 feedings (2-3 per cage...)

You will probably make a loss the first time you breed - the amount you sell the babies for is unlikely to cover the cost of the housing and food you need to buy, let alone the time you have to spend looking after them. If you're not going to be around during the day, it will be very hard to make sure they get enough food. Depending on the level of demand in your area, you may struggle to sell the babies to people - I know people who have not been able to sell all of their babies until they were 3 months old; they had to pay for food etc for that whole time. If you decide to sell to petshops, make sure you check them out first and are happy with them. You should also expect to receive a lot less per baby if you sell them to a shop (£15-£20 each, compared with £25-£30 each privately). If you work out what it will cost you, not including equipment, you will struggle to cover your costs if they are sold for £15 each. Remember to take into account the electricity that 12 setups will use during the 6 weeks that the babies are with you...

1.0 Jack Russel, Max
2.0 Black Labradors, Ben and Barney
1.2 Bearded dragons, Ralph, Betty and Bobby
Old 30-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

hope you didnt mind me posting that andy

1.0 Jack Russel, Max
2.0 Black Labradors, Ben and Barney
1.2 Bearded dragons, Ralph, Betty and Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement