Help me PLEASE - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 20-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Egg
Question Help me PLEASE

Hi have brought a Herp Nursery 11 Incubator i have 3 lots off eggs from my geckos and every time i have incubated them they have gone mouldy. What i do is damp the vermiculite and put the eggs on the top shelf put a bowl of water at the bottom of the incubator to keep the humidity in the incubator i then set the temp at 30 i have got a humidity reading of 65 i then leave the eggs 2 incubate a within a week both eggs start growing mould on them. If any1 can help me then please do i dont understand what i am doing wrong. I went 2 the local pet shop and they said i was doing every thing right i just dont understand why the eggs keep getting mould on them.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Super Regular
Reviews: 1

What eggs are you trying to hatch. I have just started to use one of these for my crested geckos. I have them in perlite ( which I have been successful before without the incubator). I have them in a cricket tub with the lid on. I do not stand a bowl of water in the bottom, because the humidity is in the cricket tub.
Old 20-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Egg
Default thanks

so next time i get eggs i should just put the them in there with damp vermiculite then just put the lid on and leave them do u make any more holes in the cricket box? and what tempture do u have them running at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Egg
Default hello

and leopard geckos
Old 20-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Regular

i read that if you put a lid over the top make sure that the humidity doesnt casue water to develop on top of the lid becasue if that water drips on the eggs it can harm them but i dunno you are better searching it up or looking on a breeders site

here look on this i hope this helps Breeding Bearded Dragons - Hades Dragons UK
Old 21-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Regular

hey, i have bred geckos very successfully for a while now, although i used a hovabator for mine, and then made my own as i got more eggs. I cant really see that you are doing anything much different to me. Step by step this is how i do it :
. Put the eggs in a cricket/locust tub on verrmiculite
. keep the lid on the tubs but just check it every few days to make sure its still damp, but not really wet, just damp. This also get fresh air circulated in to prevent mould
. i keep the temp arond the 30 mark aswell

Maybe you have the vermiculite too wet?? or not getting any fresh air in?

only other thing i can think of is maybe your lizard is infertile and all the eggs are duds, best way is to check them with a candler light

Hope this help
Old 22-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Premier Citizen

Mold generally means that the Vermiculite is too wet. I'd weigh the Vermiculite and then add an equal weight of water instead of adding water by guess.
Old 24-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Egg
Talking my eggs are ....??

my eggs are 41 days old and one of them has collapsed in but two of them have got pinkish stuff on the side that i can see threw .... is this normall

i can provide pictures if needed

thankyou
Old 24-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Super Citizen

im not sure if your aware but the herp nurserys run about 2 or three degrees out of what they read at. i have two and they both do it. so get a digital probe in there to get the correct reading and then adjust the temp setting accordingly