Really gutting.................. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 22-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to puddin
Unhappy Really gutting..................

So I had my first attempt at breeding cresties, put the male with the females for a week, I had hoped that would be long enough, sadly it was not.
So I'm back to the drawing the board, starting over!!!! This time will give the females a break from the males twice a week & just keep doing this untill an egg appears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Regular
Reviews: 1

Why did you put the male with the female for only a week ?
Old 22-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to wohic

why not just keep them together for the breeding season, I Take my Males out the end of August and they go back in end of February.

Old 22-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Citizen

To percy pigeon because I was not sure how long to leave because I was told the male will on be interested in mating & won't eat which can lead to further probs.
I was even told people leave them for one night only? but I was not to sure on that.

Wohic being you have done it, I was told it upps the stress levels esp for the female, but if thats the case I will do the same. cheers

Old 22-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Regular

Mine live together all the time. Females stop breeding in winter because of cooler temperatures, less live food and I do not have their lights on for so long as in their breeding season.
They like each others company and I think in the wild male and females are often found together in the trees. When mine meet they always give each other a lick ! When the female is digging holes, the male follows her around. He is defiantly wondering what she is doing and likes to be with her.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Super Citizen

Oh really, it may seem I haven't researched this before jumping in, believe me I have!!!!

I think its a case of personal choice from the replys. I was told if I am not breeding I wanted a pair I should get 2 females, because a male & female can be stressful because the mate will just want to mate all the time????? (but I guess thats wild life!)
Have you found any probs with your male eating??? That was something else I was told?

I think I am going to stop worrying & go for it!
I was sooooooooooooooo excited at the thought of my first baby crestie hatching out, I will get then in the end!!!

Old 22-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Regular

Had no problems with the male eating. He can never resist a cricket anyway.
I have never seen them mating, but hatched out ten healthy crested geckos from them already. The male is a pinstriped and most of the babies have been either pinstriped or partial so I know they are his.
They do seem to like each other's company, but I guess it depends on the geckos.
If they get on allright, leave them together.
Old 22-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Citizen

I haven't seen them mate either, I have heard them making noises at each other & the male follow & jumps.
The other pair did the same to, but the male tried to grab the female & the female bite him back, he was wavng his tail was so funny to watch.
I checked each day there were no injurys on each, it was all clear so I guess it just part of it.
Defo going to leaves the males in.

my pairs are a harlequin male & female extreme harlequin
Olive/brown colour she has portholes running down her side & the male is a dark cream
last bust not least is the female dalmatian.
I do have a patternless morph he has BMD he was a rescue job, was really under weight & so on, but he is doing great now. The vet though it was another one lol. I wont be breeding him away because of the BMD, I have had him a year now, he bottom part of the jaw is protruding, doesn't sound nice but is really is very cute!

Closed Thread