First eggs... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 28-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to Traverse Send a message via MSN to Traverse Send a message via Yahoo to Traverse
Default First eggs...

My long-tail is looking extremely pregnant and I think she's about to lay eggs soon. I'll be the first to admit that I'm extremely unprepared (I wasn't planning this), so I'm hoping to get some advice. Is there a good resource site for FAQ's, what I need, etc?

Please educate me... I really want to see this be successful (although unplanned). My big concerns are:
1. Do I need to separate her until she lays the eggs (how do I know when she's about to?) If she lays them in the tank I'm afraid one of them will hurt the eggs. If she does lay them in the tank, how do I go about removing them? Will they be burrowed or anything?
2. I've read up on incubators, what kind of temps/humidity do I need in this? My resources are relatively limited... Is it feasible to create one out of one of those small, plastic tanks (maybe ~5-10 gallons?)
3. In the incubator, do I need a certain kind of substrate, or will any damp substrate do?
4. How long do they usually take to hatch?

Thanks a lot everyone... Here's a picture of the little (big) girl herself!

Last edited by Traverse; 28-04-2010 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Added lots of information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

awwws look at the cute lizzzard! good luck!
Old 29-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to Traverse Send a message via MSN to Traverse Send a message via Yahoo to Traverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by befxxx View Post
awwws look at the cute lizzzard! good luck!
Thanks! The little girl burrowed herself, and when I came back she was undug. I gently moved the substrate and found four little eggs! I'm so excited... They're my first ones, ever!

Unfortunately, I don't think they're fertile. I was extremely careful not to flip them, but the sides on all four are somewhat caved in. They were only laid today so I'm going to give them a few days, then try the LED-pen-light test.

Either way, if I lose them I won't be too bummed. I have to move on Friday and have no idea how I would transport them.