Do not rotate the eggs - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 18-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultra Citizen

[QUOTE=Nix;6279307]I am with Ian on this one. It is about detachment of blood vessels. Reptile eggs are polar.

Eggs laid in any orientation can hatch as long as the orientation isn't changed after they are laid. QUOTE]

Have you (or anyone else) tried changing orientation to find out? As above, it sounds fine in theory, but where's the proof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Egg
Default Newbie here, but I searched for this...

and came across some info that others interested in this topic might find helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4543940/

If the link doesn't show up because I am new, search for
Myth busting? Effects of embryo positioning and egg turning on hatching success in the water snake Natrix maura
Fabien Aubret,a,1 GaŽlle Blanvillain,1 and Philippe J. R. Kok2

It is an article from the US National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health

I was interested in this because I live with my youngest son in Bolivia and we just found some snake eggs yesterday.We both love snakes - they are so cool! We have a baby Peni lizard right now that our cats caught, though, but no snakes. We rarely see them. The landlord cleared a bunch of grass away and now we see snake holes everywhere.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorriAnne View Post
and came across some info that others interested in this topic might find helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4543940/

If the link doesn't show up because I am new, search for
Myth busting? Effects of embryo positioning and egg turning on hatching success in the water snake Natrix maura
Fabien Aubret,a,1 GaŽlle Blanvillain,1 and Philippe J. R. Kok2

It is an article from the US National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health

I was interested in this because I live with my youngest son in Bolivia and we just found some snake eggs yesterday.We both love snakes - they are so cool! We have a baby Peni lizard right now that our cats caught, though, but no snakes. We rarely see them. The landlord cleared a bunch of grass away and now we see snake holes everywhere.
If you read the abstract of this paper, below, it would appear that science does confirm that snake eggs should not be turned.

Scientific Reports
Nature Publishing Group
Fabien Aubret, GaŽlle Blanvillain, and Philippe J. R. Kok

Additional article information

Abstract
It is a common belief that reptile eggs should not be turned after oviposition once the embryo has attached itself to the inner membrane of the shell as it might kill developing embryos. Here, we used 338 eggs from 32 clutches of the water snake Natrix maura to (1) thoroughly describe natural clutch arrangement, (2) experimentally assess the effects of natural embryo positioning and (3) egg turning on embryo metabolism, hatching success, and hatchling phenotype. Clutches contained, on average, 59% of embryos located at the top, 28% at the bottom, and 14% on a side of the egg. Larger females laid larger clutches with higher proportion of top located embryos. Top embryos displayed higher metabolic rates (heart rates), shorter incubation time, and produced lighter and shorter snakes than bottom embryos. Egg turning did not significantly influence egg development, hatching success or hatchling phenotypes. However, post-birth mortality was significantly higher in turned (37.5%) compared to unturned (4.5%) embryos, providing support to the common belief that eggs should not be moved from their natural position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-2017, 09:15 AM
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Bird and reptile eggs are totally different. In bird eggs, the embryo is not attached to the shell - you will have seen from using a chicken egg that the yolk is loose and surrounded by the egg white. The yolk is the embryo, whichm if the egg had been fertilised, would eventually develop into the chick, with the albumen providing all the nutrients. The shell is also hard and so water loss/retention and oxygen transfer is not an issue. However, in reptile eggs, the embryo becomes attached to the side of the egg shortly after being laid. If the egg is turned, the embryo can become detached from the shell and die.
This is why bird incubators cannot be used for reptile eggs, as most of them have an automatic turning mechanism so that the egg is turned regularly. If this happened with reptile eggs they would all die.
I think the shortly after being laid is the key part. That is why you'll see people lift the main mass of eggs and pop in the incubator box and any 'roll-outs' marked with an R and kept in the orientation you found them in.

Always thought the thinking being is roll-outs have either been kicked out as duff eggs by the mother or accidentally rolled away. Quite often the roll-out will make it to hatch, so worth saving if you are incubating them all.

Have a watch of one of Jay's Retic egg collecting videos on YouTube [prehistoric pets] and you'll see the care taken to keep them upright but they just take any roll-outs and keep them right way up (they don't mark their eggs).

I put a small mark on mine just in case I knock them at anytime (Trinket eggs and a nose) ... plus since so far my colubrids have hatched over a 3-4 day timescale and one hatchling has managed to knock all the other eggs over which I then corrected (everyone hatched), I was glad I'd marked them (no idea if I needed to but wasn't going to chance it).
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Premier Member

someone posted (as in mailed) a clutch of corn eggs from one uk keeper to another as an experiment. the clutch hatched fine.

rgds
ed

ps don't mail eggs, its just an interesting factoid.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.