"Breading back to the Father" - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Breeding

Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Super Citizen

I read up on inbreeding in one of my snake books. I can find the name and page number later if you so wish.
There was a case of someone from Germany I think, who bred his snakes eight generations brother-sister. And had no ill effects. In fact he said that the fertility increased and he produced healthier, larger animals. This is just what I remember, so it was worded differently. But I think it proves a point.

Inbreeding makes the gene pool smaller, but it is only if there are hidden defects that there are issues. It increases both the good points and the bad points. Ie hereditary defects, or a desired colour mutation.

Personally I have not much of an issue with inbreeding, but I would never go further than to breed back into direct 'family' twice. Not with me personally, but if you happen across a brand new recessive gene, how do you prove it out when the only know animal that carries the gene is the 'child' snake's sire and dam?

I'll find that page and post it on here when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.

That'll be awesome thanks! I understand about the good and the bad coming through too, I just think it seems a little unhealthy! One of my friends has all sorts of heriditary conditions and she says its because getting together with cousins is considered fairly normal in her family! (I know waaayyyy off topic - and no she says she won't be sticking to that family tradition )
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkaDawg View Post
I read up on inbreeding in one of my snake books. I can find the name and page number later if you so wish.
There was a case of someone from Germany I think, who bred his snakes eight generations brother-sister. And had no ill effects. In fact he said that the fertility increased and he produced healthier, larger animals. This is just what I remember, so it was worded differently. But I think it proves a point.

Inbreeding makes the gene pool smaller, but it is only if there are hidden defects that there are issues. It increases both the good points and the bad points. Ie hereditary defects, or a desired colour mutation.

Personally I have not much of an issue with inbreeding, but I would never go further than to breed back into direct 'family' twice. Not with me personally, but if you happen across a brand new recessive gene, how do you prove it out when the only know animal that carries the gene is the 'child' snake's sire and dam?

I'll find that page and post it on here when I get home.
if its stokl i would just ignore him lol....

but yes there is nothing wrong with breeding a baby back to the dad apart from the fact its a baby still
seriously thou, it wont have any illl effects, depending on how much you inbred, same as rabbits, you can inbred for about 3 generations i think with rabbits before it goes tits up, nothing like that in snakes if your responsible, a few times breeding a offspring back to a parent then a offspring of that pairing back to the original dad will still be fine......

END BSL!!!
http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/sn8ks4life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn8ks4life View Post
seriously thou, it wont have any illl effects, depending on how much you inbred, same as rabbits, you can inbred for about 3 generations i think with rabbits before it goes tits up, nothing like that in snakes if your responsible, a few times breeding a offspring back to a parent then a offspring of that pairing back to the original dad will still be fine......

Thank you

But would it not be better to use a different male with the same desirable characteristics? Just so that any genetic problems will be less likely to be inherited? (this is the bit that really starts hurting my brain!) what would stop people doing this?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
if its stokl i would just ignore him lol....
Yeah! Wasn't a book, it was the site.

What's wrong with stokl?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Yeah! Wasn't a book, it was the site.

What's wrong with stokl?
he's a lying tool that photoshops his pics on his website and inbreeds worse than hillbillys.....

END BSL!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyhorsman View Post
Thank you

But would it not be better to use a different male with the same desirable characteristics? Just so that any genetic problems will be less likely to be inherited? (this is the bit that really starts hurting my brain!) what would stop people doing this?
say i got a hypo het albino male, bred it to even a normal ide get hypos all pos het albino, if i put the dad to say 2 of the girls that were produced that would get me albinos and sunglows providing one proves out, saves you buying one lol..... i dont agree with inbreeding too much, putting a sibling back to a parent once is enough IMO

END BSL!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
he's a lying tool that photoshops his pics on his website and inbreeds worse than hillbillys.....
Wow. I never knew, thanks for explaining, I'll keep away.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Wow. I never knew, thanks for explaining, I'll keep away.
no worries buddy, good to do so

END BSL!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyhorsman View Post
Thank you

Yes.

Yes.

Money, space and availability of the desired type. As far as the genetics go, it's usually a good idea.

When mating brother x sister in mice, the line either dies out within the first ten generations or goes on indefinitely. Selecting the healthiest, most vigorous animals for breeders and outbreeding to first cousins or more distant relatives helps preserve a blood line.

Tags
breeding , inbreeding , morph