UV Detector for less than £5 - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Sponsor Forums > Vendors > Coast to Coast Exotics

Old 31-03-2015, 09:04 AM
FBH Liason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek View Post
Hi,
Did the manufacturer confirm sensitivity to UVA or UVB? Clearly if it is not reacting primarily to UVB then it is as much use as a chocolate fire guard .
Still waiting

I'll chase them today - I'd be very surprised if its not UVB, but he's to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

If they can provide accurate wave lengths and a data sheet that would be best
Old 31-03-2015, 03:35 PM
FBH Liason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek View Post
If they can provide accurate wave lengths and a data sheet that would be best
This is the reply;

"The detector contains a special pigment that changes colour when
exposed to UV, the cycle of changing colour is in excess of 50 000 times so they last quite a while. The wavelength that effects the change is 360 to 300 nm, so this includes the high energy part of UV A (400-320 nm) and the low part of UV B (320-280 nm). UV C cannot be detected."

I think, for the cost I will try them in vivaria with new tubes. They are cheap enough for the experiement. We replace our tubes around every 6 months and it will be interesting to see how the colour pigments are changing. If they are picking up on A and B, even if just at the extremes, it does cast some doubt on their effectiveness. I would hesitantly recommend them as a cheap method of reminding someone to replace their lighting, but so is putting a date in the calendar ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horny Toad View Post
This is the reply;

"The detector contains a special pigment that changes colour when
exposed to UV, the cycle of changing colour is in excess of 50 000 times so they last quite a while. The wavelength that effects the change is 360 to 300 nm, so this includes the high energy part of UV A (400-320 nm) and the low part of UV B (320-280 nm). UV C cannot be detected."

I think, for the cost I will try them in vivaria with new tubes. They are cheap enough for the experiement. We replace our tubes around every 6 months and it will be interesting to see how the colour pigments are changing. If they are picking up on A and B, even if just at the extremes, it does cast some doubt on their effectiveness. I would hesitantly recommend them as a cheap method of reminding someone to replace their lighting, but so is putting a date in the calendar ;-)

its a shame, nice simple solution, but definitly needs a UVA filter to be really practical; unfortunetly almost every filter I have looked at, filters UVB, not UVA, or both of them lol

thinking outloud...i wonder if a metal mesh, of just the right diameter holes/spacing, might do the trick
Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 PM
FBH Liason

Bump!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
FBH Liason

Bump!

Tags
bulb , detector , light , testing , tube , uvb