Rob Louth Vs Wrigglies - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Rob Louth Vs Wrigglies

I've been looking at venomous handling courses from both these guys and was wondering if anyone has experienced either or both, what were the pros/cons or which would you recommend?

I'm not really looking to keep hots at this stage just to further my interests, i've never handled or been up close to venomous before so i'd be going in as a total novice.

Many thanks for any input!
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Super Regular
Default Venomous handling

I've heard nothing but good things about robs encounters and displays
Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Ultra Citizen

Yesterday I went to one of Rob's encounter days at Scales and Tails and it was lovely. At the end we got to hook and tail a Gaboon Viper and pose for photos, with Rob watching and moving the Gaboon's head away if it turned. He really knew what he was doing and was really great. I know it's not a proper course, but a real taster. He even let me pick his brains about venomous and let me talk about Najas to him too.

I've only spoken to Dave over fb, but he seems a nice chap and a fellow Naja lover so, tbh, I think you would be fine either way. One pro of Rob is that he can come to you for a 1:1 1 hour venomous taster session. Either way, you will be learning from some of the most well known.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Citizen

I can't comment on either of those that you mention but if you are in Nottingham then I suggest coming along to the IHS meetings that take place in Beeston once a month. There are several venomous keepers that regularly attend and they are more than happy to discuss venomous snakes all night long.

If you are on facebook then this is the page for the IHS group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/NottinghamIHSReptileGroup

David.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
5 Star Member

Maybe look into doing both? Nobody who operates courses claims that their methods of handling are definitive. You may learn a lot more by training with different people. We all have different ways of handling. So long as you do it safely, that is the important part.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Premier Citizen

Thanks guys, i've had a chat with rob over FB and it looks like he can do 1:1 sessions. Probably best for me as a novice so i can go at my own pace. I've also heard excellent things about wrigglies so i'll look further into both
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
5 Star Member

We also offer one to one sessions
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to LukeRutherford Send a message via Skype™ to LukeRutherford

I've had a venomous course with Dave and Julian (Wrigglies) and it was great, learnt lots and worked with cool species, I've never had a course with Rob but have met him and he definatly knows his stuff and is a good bloke from what I've found, there are a few courses around I would like to do to learn different ways an techniques.
Moshpitviper likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM
5 Star Member

I havent had a session with Rob, but the course I attended at wrigglies was extremely informative, professionally conducted and over all, we all felt completely safe with Dave and Julian. I attended it with full intention of getting my DWAL, but I had 2 friends with me, one an avid snake keeper, but with no intention of getting hots, and the other, not even a reptile keeper. both thoroughly enjoyed it and said it was well worth the money

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438039259659825/
Full day tattooing £400, or £80 per hour
Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Premier Citizen
Location: In a world of my own, where only bats and Flipper can understand me!
Reviews: 2

My 2 cents worth? I'd steer well clear of anyone who tails a Gaboon and even further away from someone who allows a total novice to do this. Gaboons can and will strike over their back at their tail faster than anyone can control them.........they do not like being tailed and, despite their size and weight can move and strike amazingly quickly. Another factor is that Bitis snakes in general are easily stressed and don't like frequent interactions with humans..so the constant mauling around of the snake is not good for it's well being. Bitis do best being left well alone!
SiUK, MrDimmu, DavidR and 10 others like this.