C-19 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species

Old 26-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Super Citizen
Default C-19

I was just wondering what peoples protocols are if they become ill?

Mine is too euthanise by freezing.

Any thoughts, either from venomous keepers or not.

Also curious what a zoo's view is with their dangerous animals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2020, 02:09 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2540 View Post

Killing yourself by jumping in a freezer !!!

[I'll get my coat ]

Malc

Old 27-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Premier Member

Quote:

Any thoughts, either from venomous keepers or not.

Also curious what a zoo's view is with their dangerous animals?
Euthanasia by freezing is considered a cruel and painful death, I'm not sure why you would do that? The vast majority of patients who get C19 are ill for about 7 days then recover.
If you needed hospital treatment again you are more likely than not to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2020, 04:17 PM
Premier Member

I'll be serious now... promise.

Generalising here as it's not species specific, but we all know that most snakes can go for long periods without food, and most don't drink excessively, so dehydration shouldn't be an issue. From my limited research, it would seem that most people who are admitted to hospital with this virus are released after the 10-14 days, unless they have underlying health issues that compound recovery. Most of those affected appear to have mild cold symptoms that last for 5-7 days and then recover without the need for testing.

To be considering euthanizing animals is a bit extreme. Personally I feel that part of any plan when keeping reptiles, be that hots or non-venomous is that you have a back up person who can take over the husbandry (food and water really) in the event something should happen to you, even out of the blue. This is more so important if you live on your own and have no family members who can be trained how to safely change the water, or safely top up the water dish if the issue is short term. If long term, then have someone you can call on whilst you are in hospital (fellow forum member for example).
rogersspider2007 and ian14 like this.

Malc

Old 27-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Super Citizen

Okay, let me put it this way and I'm open to suggestions

If I become ill and are facing the possibility of death. I have the virus and it would not be moral in my opinion to expose another individual to it. So having someone come over is not really possible. And they will probably be in the same boat as me regardless.

My wife is not capable or willing, and probably will also be ill.

I understand how long snakes can go for without food.

Changing the water is usually as easy as any other snake, but not always. I have lost count of the amount of times I've had a snake exit its cage whilst doing this.

So what do you do to mitigate the risk to the third parties?
Old 28-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Premier Member

I don't think you have understood the virus at all.

Most people will get mild symptoms. Normally a cough, a slight fever with a slight temperature, and a washed out feeling. You might get one or more of these symptoms, which tend to be no more than what you experience with a normal cold. It won't confine you to bed, and it won't prevent you from looking after your animals. You will naturally need to self isolate (as we are at the movement), and chances are others in your household will also show similar signs. I've had a cough and slight fever, the cough came and went within a six day period, the temperature lasted no more than 24 hours. My daughter had a temperature and felt knackered for two days, and the wife also had a slight fever... two weeks on we're fine. Was this C-19 ? - no idea as none of us were at the level where we needed testing.

Now if you already have underlying health issues (mostly it seems to be related to breathing and conditions that bring down your immune system) and your symptoms get a lot worse and you experience difficulties in breathing (irrespective of any underlying condition or not) then you contact NHS via the phone line. They will advise where to go and get tested and assessed. If you are confirmed to have C-19 they will asses the level of infection as whether you need a hospital bed or not.

If you are admitted, most cases are placed on oxygen, and only if really critical would be placed on a ventilator. As Ian has said, most cases will be released from hospital to continue recovery in isolation at home.

Most (not all) of those who have died have been elderly and typically already have underlying health issues. There have been exceptions and you would expect that, but these exceptions are, at the moment, quite rare.

To be honest, whilst it is serious, it's not something that should cause us to start planning how to dispose of the animals we keep.

About three years ago through posting on a forum I started exchanging e-mails with a chap who was helping me with some arduino coding. We would exchange between three and ten emails every day... then one day they stopped... I've not received one since and had no replies to subsequent mails I've sent. He also was an avid poster on that forum and all posts stopped on the same day the mails stopped.... The consensus is that he either died or was killed. In this sort of circumstances there is no planning for what may happen to your animals. As I said above, if you live alone and have no family then ensure that someone you know also knows that you have the animals you have. Or simply make a will and have details of any arrangements you have made for the re homing or selling of the animals, and ensure your executor is trained how to look after the animals in the mean time whilst the arrangements are made.
ian14 likes this.

Malc

Old 28-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to rogersspider2007
Default C-19

I know this is a tough situation through the crisis that we are experiencing, if I knew I was going to die from this virus or for any other problems then I would obviously have put in to place some kind of plan, my collection is in a secure building outside so I wouldn't have a problem in having someone who I made plans with to come and collect, as I would of gave them all the access codes and I would of posted keys to them, I know some people wouldn't be comfortable doing this but I wouldn't do this to just anyone, I do know quite a few people personally so I wouldn't think twice, it would be the same if I had the animals in the house.
GT2540 likes this.
Old 28-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Citizen

I'm not looking at the best case or probable case, but the worst case.
Old 28-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm not looking at the best case or probable case, but the worst case.
So make a will then

Malc

Old 28-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 23

Just send them all to me and put my contact details down. Safe collection done by dwa holder.