Big cats wild in the UK? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species

Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 1
Default Big cats wild in the UK?

Just wondering what people think about this one, I know alot of people say that when DWA came into effect some people released thier big cats, but what were the rules for people keeping big cats when DWA came in, would they have to be euthinased or given to a zoo ect?

Also how likely would it be for a big cat to survive in the uk, would they have enough prey available, I know it depends on species, but I would imagine in the correct environment there would be plenty of deer sheep ect available, but would a captive animal have the ability to hunt effetively?

Also how long do they live for? I know there is a possibiltiy that they were released and are out there but how long would the origonal animals survive for as I seriously doubt there would be any breeding going on, as it is very unlikely that there would be enough of the same species to come into contact.

Also has anyone seen any evidence that would hold up, all I have ever seen is grainy videos that were taken at a huge distance and usualy look like domestic cats?
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Citizen

there are black panthers in south west uk, there was one in the village i live in and it was eating farmers sheep, i thought i saw it at one point but im not sure

V
Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
No Life Member

yes quite simply. i think they are about, there are known to be a few locally

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Gold Star Member

See I have heard that they think there is a cougar living in the devon area, but have never found anything conclusive.

When you say it was eating sheep did you ever see the carcuses and did anyone examine them to determine that it was done by a panther?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Super Citizen

very good point retri, there were sheep disapearing, only a few, 1 or so a fortnight, but from different fields, so maybe 1 a day, and they travel alot, and there was the odd hoof or a clump of wool but it was a rare sight, there was no proof so nobody was certain there was a panther lurking about, just a few reported sightings which came out of nowhere...so putting 2 and 2 together, sheep disapearing and sightings

V
Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Premier Citizen

I really don't know, but I would imagine that if there were and they had been breeding, there would have been more sightings by now. Or at least a 'proper' sighting.

Surely some people spend an awful lot of time actually looking for them? (enthusiasts?)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthunte29 View Post
there are black panthers in south west uk, there was one in the village i live in and it was eating farmers sheep, i thought i saw it at one point but im not sure
I also live in yeovil and i really believe that ive seen 1 in a field not far from Hazelbury Plucknett.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Gold Star Member

Me and my grandad saw a puma years ago on a camping trip. I must have been about 9 or 10 (im 23 now), it was in Thetford Forest. We saw it sitting on the roadside while on a bike ride, then that night heard it.
Not many people beleive me but it was definately there and definately a puma.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaircavies View Post
I also live in yeovil and i really believe that ive seen 1 in a field not far from Hazelbury Plucknett.
yey evidence lol, did you here rumours about them saying they are lurking around fields and eating sheep?

V
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midori View Post
I really don't know, but I would imagine that if there were and they had been breeding, there would have been more sightings by now. Or at least a 'proper' sighting.

Surely some people spend an awful lot of time actually looking for them? (enthusiasts?)
Yeh, just found this, definately enthusiastic, but doesnt look like its been updated since 2001

www.Big-cats.co.uk