DWA without a licence - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Postaholic Member
Default DWA without a licence

If you knew someone was keeping DWA without the licence would you report them, and if so to who?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
No Life Member

theres probably twice as many illegal keepers here in the UK as there is legal
spinnin_tom likes this.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Postaholic Member

Tis a bit naughty though, especially when you know they are not taking the correct precautions. I mean it wouldnt be so bad if said person was being sensible about it, but posting pictures up of themselves holding a DWA scorp is plain stupid, and its things like this that ultimately ruin it for the rest of the exotic community due to bad press because the moron got stung and died.

*Le Sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Ultra Citizen

unless they were a genuine danger to themselves or the public no
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

The "Who To" would be your local council.

As for whether I personally would report them, it would depend a great deal on:

1. Are my local council's DWA fees extortionate without justification or reasonable/hefty WITH justification?
2. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping responsibly (aside from lack of licence) - does he have any safety protocols, double-locked cages or a locked venomous room containing cages that are also locked, or is he just keeping a rattlesnake in a viv in his front room?
3. Does the unlicenced keeper have any sort of insurance?
4. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping species that are likely to be a real problem for his family members or neighbours if something goes absolutely pear-shaped? For example, a Gila or Beaded lizard is a different league of animal to having a fast-moving aggressive elapid.

Depending on the situation, I might contact the environmental health department of the council if I were concerned that the keeper and their actions genuinely posed a threat to the public.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrimmer69 View Post
unless they were a genuine danger to themselves or the public no
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
The "Who To" would be your local council.

As for whether I personally would report them, it would depend a great deal on:

1. Are my local council's DWA fees extortionate without justification or reasonable/hefty WITH justification?
2. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping responsibly (aside from lack of licence) - does he have any safety protocols, double-locked cages or a locked venomous room containing cages that are also locked, or is he just keeping a rattlesnake in a viv in his front room?
3. Does the unlicenced keeper have any sort of insurance?
4. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping species that are likely to be a real problem for his family members or neighbours if something goes absolutely pear-shaped? For example, a Gila or Beaded lizard is a different league of animal to having a fast-moving aggressive elapid.

Depending on the situation, I might contact the environmental health department of the council if I were concerned that the keeper and their actions genuinely posed a threat to the public.
See my above post. Handling a DWA scorp, just to show he "has got balls" and those were his words

If he were being sensible about it, then fine not a problem, I understand depending on where you live it can be an expensive licence to hold. But getting a DWA just for show reasons and to post pictures if you holding said DWA is plain stupid. I mean what if he got stung, dropped it, and it stung one of his kids? From what I understand the sting can be lethal.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post
Tis a bit naughty though, especially when you know they are not taking the correct precautions. I mean it wouldnt be so bad if said person was being sensible about it, but posting pictures up of themselves holding a DWA scorp is plain stupid, and its things like this that ultimately ruin it for the rest of the exotic community due to bad press because the moron got stung and died.

*Le Sigh*
thats because he is a pleb.

There has been a noticible case recently where a keeper got caught with DWA species without a license and got banned for 10 years from keeping and fined nearly 2k.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to Crownan

As above. If they were doing everything properly and sensibly etc. then no, I wouldnt report them, I dont see a real need to.

If they were a twat though, bad keeping, showing off, poor setups, poor security etc etc then yeah, why the hell not. It would be better for everyone!

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, 1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa, 1.0 Rosy Boa, 2.2 Royal Python, 0.1 Borneo Blood Python, 0.0.2 Rough Greens, 1.0 Western Hognoses, 0.1 Tai Beauty, 1.0 Sinaloan Milk, 0.1 Chilean Rose, 0.1 Honduran Curly Hair, 0.1 Green Iguana, 1.0 Lineolated Parakeet, 0.1 Fraggle

Member #2726
RBUK #2 - 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via Yahoo to rockkeeper

isnt that the reason of the license, that person are,up to a certain standard, vivs etc ,etc?

what does that say to the one who have done it the right way?

anyway how do you know they havent got a license ?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Super Regular

He sounds like a right nob! Let the bloody scorpion sting him! Might teach him a lesson!

"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all your touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

1 x Norwegian Forest Cat - Baloo, 1 x Red tailed Black Shark - Old Red, 10 x checker Barb, 1 x Siamese Algae Eater Sam, 2 x Botia Striata, 6 x Otocinclus & loads snails...