DWA without a licence - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM
FreakOonique's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nr Swinley Forest, Berkshire
Posts: 10,519
Default DWA without a licence

If you knew someone was keeping DWA without the licence would you report them, and if so to who?
__________________
From the looks not the lips, the soul speaks.
1 Fianc -Chris
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
SiUK's Avatar
No Life Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 16,577
Default

theres probably twice as many illegal keepers here in the UK as there is legal
spinnin_tom likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
FreakOonique's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nr Swinley Forest, Berkshire
Posts: 10,519
Default

Tis a bit naughty though, especially when you know they are not taking the correct precautions. I mean it wouldnt be so bad if said person was being sensible about it, but posting pictures up of themselves holding a DWA scorp is plain stupid, and its things like this that ultimately ruin it for the rest of the exotic community due to bad press because the moron got stung and died.

*Le Sigh*
__________________
From the looks not the lips, the soul speaks.
1 Fianc -Chris
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
paulrimmer69's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: southport
Posts: 1,071
Default

unless they were a genuine danger to themselves or the public no
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Ssthisto's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorks
Posts: 22,890
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto
Default

The "Who To" would be your local council.

As for whether I personally would report them, it would depend a great deal on:

1. Are my local council's DWA fees extortionate without justification or reasonable/hefty WITH justification?
2. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping responsibly (aside from lack of licence) - does he have any safety protocols, double-locked cages or a locked venomous room containing cages that are also locked, or is he just keeping a rattlesnake in a viv in his front room?
3. Does the unlicenced keeper have any sort of insurance?
4. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping species that are likely to be a real problem for his family members or neighbours if something goes absolutely pear-shaped? For example, a Gila or Beaded lizard is a different league of animal to having a fast-moving aggressive elapid.

Depending on the situation, I might contact the environmental health department of the council if I were concerned that the keeper and their actions genuinely posed a threat to the public.
__________________
- Ssthisto

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant



Member 1603
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
FreakOonique's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nr Swinley Forest, Berkshire
Posts: 10,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrimmer69 View Post
unless they were a genuine danger to themselves or the public no
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
The "Who To" would be your local council.

As for whether I personally would report them, it would depend a great deal on:

1. Are my local council's DWA fees extortionate without justification or reasonable/hefty WITH justification?
2. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping responsibly (aside from lack of licence) - does he have any safety protocols, double-locked cages or a locked venomous room containing cages that are also locked, or is he just keeping a rattlesnake in a viv in his front room?
3. Does the unlicenced keeper have any sort of insurance?
4. Is the unlicenced keeper keeping species that are likely to be a real problem for his family members or neighbours if something goes absolutely pear-shaped? For example, a Gila or Beaded lizard is a different league of animal to having a fast-moving aggressive elapid.

Depending on the situation, I might contact the environmental health department of the council if I were concerned that the keeper and their actions genuinely posed a threat to the public.
See my above post. Handling a DWA scorp, just to show he "has got balls" and those were his words

If he were being sensible about it, then fine not a problem, I understand depending on where you live it can be an expensive licence to hold. But getting a DWA just for show reasons and to post pictures if you holding said DWA is plain stupid. I mean what if he got stung, dropped it, and it stung one of his kids? From what I understand the sting can be lethal.
__________________
From the looks not the lips, the soul speaks.
1 Fianc -Chris
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
SiUK's Avatar
No Life Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 16,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post
Tis a bit naughty though, especially when you know they are not taking the correct precautions. I mean it wouldnt be so bad if said person was being sensible about it, but posting pictures up of themselves holding a DWA scorp is plain stupid, and its things like this that ultimately ruin it for the rest of the exotic community due to bad press because the moron got stung and died.

*Le Sigh*
thats because he is a pleb.

There has been a noticible case recently where a keeper got caught with DWA species without a license and got banned for 10 years from keeping and fined nearly 2k.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Crownan's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chertsey, Surrey
Posts: 13,922
Send a message via MSN to Crownan
Default

As above. If they were doing everything properly and sensibly etc. then no, I wouldnt report them, I dont see a real need to.

If they were a twat though, bad keeping, showing off, poor setups, poor security etc etc then yeah, why the hell not. It would be better for everyone!
__________________


0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, 1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa, 1.0 Rosy Boa, 2.2 Royal Python, 0.1 Borneo Blood Python, 0.0.2 Rough Greens, 1.0 Western Hognoses, 0.1 Tai Beauty, 1.0 Sinaloan Milk, 0.1 Chilean Rose, 0.1 Honduran Curly Hair, 0.1 Green Iguana, 1.0 Lineolated Parakeet, 0.1 Fraggle

Member #2726
RBUK #2 - 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 AM
rockkeeper's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: burnley lancashire
Posts: 6,506
Send a message via Yahoo to rockkeeper
Default

isnt that the reason of the license, that person are,up to a certain standard, vivs etc ,etc?


what does that say to the one who have done it the right way?


anyway how do you know they havent got a license ?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
luke1983's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 261
Default

He sounds like a right nob! Let the bloody scorpion sting him! Might teach him a lesson!
__________________
Luke

"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all your touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"


1 x Norwegian Forest Cat - Baloo, 1 x Red tailed Black Shark - Old Red, 10 x checker Barb, 1 x Siamese Algae Eater Sam, 2 x Botia Striata, 6 x Otocinclus & loads snails...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you need a licence? tombutler86 Snakes 37 20-06-2009 12:50 PM
dwa licence devilchildsmum DWA Species 10 26-01-2009 03:09 PM
Licence? Wishlover General Herp Chat 13 04-01-2008 01:20 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK)