King Cobra bite - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > DWA Species

Old 13-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Regular
Exclamation King Cobra bite

I kinda need your help, guys

Thing is... I'm writing a story in which the main character gets bitten by her king cobra, and I wanted to know what it feels like. Does it sting, burn, what? Have you ever been bitten?

Please be descriptive Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulLittleWeirdo View Post
I kinda need your help, guys

Thing is... I'm writing a story in which the main character gets bitten by her king cobra, and I wanted to know what it feels like. Does it sting, burn, what? Have you ever been bitten?

Please be descriptive Thanks!
Hehe, i dont think whose been bitten is alive Good luck with your results
Old 13-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Citizen

Man survives king cobra bite, but snake dies

"Harrison's symptoms included blurred vision, problems with numbness in his face, difficulty moving his tongue, severe headache and crushing chest pain, Gold said."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSqueak View Post
About 5 years ago Gaza

Like i'd been bitten by a king cobra

Like two really quick, simultaneous injections...and then pain.

After half an hour I became drowsy, developed a banging headache and this is when they decided I'd definately recieved an envenommed bite not a dry bite and gave me antivenom...about half an hour after that I lost the ability to move my leg and then I lost conciousness...apparently I had some kind of fit but I don't remember.

They removed the bandages and splint after about half an hour and took their time so any remaining venom in the area wasnt suddenly released into my system (damn those bandages were TIGHT).

After two days I still couldn't move my leg but I slowly got movement back as the swelling went down and I spent two weeks learning to walk without looking like a cripple (I refused crutches).

So there you go

Sorry for hijacking!!!!

x
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ml#post6373524
Old 14-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquii View Post
Man survives king cobra bite, but snake dies

"Harrison's symptoms included blurred vision, problems with numbness in his face, difficulty moving his tongue, severe headache and crushing chest pain, Gold said."
I guess im wrong then
Old 14-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadi View Post
Hehe, i dont think whose been bitten is alive Good luck with your results
Man, I forget the dudes's name, maybe "George something" but he worked at the Miami Serpentarium and was bitten over 135 times including a 12 foot King Cobra they called "Super-Cobra" cuz it produced way more venom than any other King they had and he survived....AGAIN, and I think they were treating it with Tiger Snake venom. he was back in there milking snakes again before he even fully recovered. I was always amazed by that dude, but i swear he had a death-wish or something.

Nevermind, diffferent guy...the dude I was thinking of was named "William E. "Bill" Haast "

Full story:

"The Serpentarium opened at the end of 1947, still not completed. For the first five years Bill, Clarita and Bill Jr. were the only staff. Bill Jr. eventually left, having lost interest in snakes, but not before he had been bitten four times by venomous snakes. Haast constantly improved the Serpentarium. By 1965 the Serpentarium housed more than 500 snakes in 400 cages and three pits in the courtyard. Haast was extracting venom 70 to 100 times a day from some 60 species of venomous snakes, usually in front of an audience of paying customers. He would free the snakes on a table in front of him, then catch the snakes bare-handed, and force them to eject their venom into glass vials with a rubber membrane stretched across the top.

Soon after opening the Serpentarium Haast began experimenting with building up an acquired immunity to the venom of King, Indian and Cape cobras by injecting himself with gradually increasing quantities of venom he had extracted from his snakes, a practice called mithridatism. In 1954 Haast was bitten by a common, or blue, krait. He at first hoped that his immunization to cobra venom would protect him from the krait venom, and he continued with his regular activities for several hours. However, the venom eventually did affect him, and he was taken to a hospital where it took him several days to recover. A krait anti-venom was shipped from India, but when it arrived after a 48-hour flight, Haast refused to take it.

Haast received his first cobra bite less than a year after he started his immunization program. During the 1950s he was bitten by cobras about twenty times. His first King cobra bite was in 1962. Haast has also been bitten by a green mamba. On several occasions Haast has donated his blood to be used in treating snake-bite victims when a suitable anti-venom was not available.

In 1949 Haast began supplying venom to a medical researcher at the University of Miami for experiments in the treatment of polio. The experiments gave encouraging results, but were still in preliminary clinical trials when the Salk polio vaccine was released in 1955.

Haast's hands have suffered venom-caused tissue damage, culminating in the loss of a finger following a bite from a Malayan pit viper in 2003. As a result of the damage, Haast no longer attempts to handle venomous snakes. As of 2008 he continues to have his wife inject him with small amounts of snake venom."

Last edited by Victor Creed; 14-09-2010 at 05:18 AM..
Old 14-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Forum Citizen

I got tagged by a Cape Cobra some years back. In my opinion the King Cobra and Cape Cobra venoms have some similarities. If this is true I can assure you that the venom burns like blazes in the area of the bite.

Tags
bite , feel , king cobra , snake