Fire Belly Toad Filter Broke - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies

Old 14-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Egg
Default Fire Belly Toad Filter Broke

Hi, I am taking care of a fire bellied toad for the summer from my class. Her waterfall-like filter (it says Reptofilter on it) broke recently. I was trying to move it because she was behind it and I was afraid she would get stuck, but I accidentally pulled it out of the water and it won't work. As I took a closer look, I realized that the filter was REALLY dirty and looks like it hasn't been cleaned for ages. I am really new to this, but I want to make sure she is taken care of properly. Are there any recommendations for a better filter that I can buy? There's only one toad, so I don't need anything big and expensive. (P.S. I just got her a week ago, so please don't blame me for any of this! Thanks!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Banned

Kyla; Whilst I'm not familiar with the type of filter; From what ye say, it's entirely possible that the impeller's just jammed.

Google the model and ye may well come up with a schematic showing ye how to dismantle and clean it.

Let us know how ye get on.
Old 15-06-2018, 05:29 AM
Banned

Okay, Kyla. I was a bit pushed there. I've now googled this thing myself. Bog standard filter.

Fact that ye've found it's filthy suggests ye've got the two bits apart? Cool. Wash the sponge out in a bucket, or three, of tap water. The resultant sponge won't hurt ye toad. He's not that delicate.

Now; Look at the bottom of the 'heavy lump' top part. That's the motor. There'll be a round hole, in the bottom. In it will be like an air stone, or plastic fins with a steel pin head in the middle.

Get a pair of pliers, tweezers, what ever. Gently grip the pin head and draw the cylindrical stone out. It'll pop out into ye hand. Half inch or so long. Probably covered in brown slime.

Wash it off. Hose the hole it lives in. Give the whole motor a good slosh out. Put the three bits back together. Submerge in a bucket and power up. Should work a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-2018, 12:26 AM
Egg
Default oops

Thanks, but I have misplaced the filter sponge thing (I think my mom threw it away because it was so dirty.) I'm just going to buy a new filter since this one seems to have really bad reviews anyway. I appreciate the help, though! Thank you!