Adjustable/Angled Light Bracket? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies

Old 17-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Regular
Default Adjustable/Angled Light Bracket?

Trying to find a light fitting for a heat lamp that can be angled instead of just pointing straight down. Does anyone know if these exist? Have had no luck online!
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Reptile Systems Rotating Bracket does exactly that, and I can attest to its usefulness

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 17-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Regular

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Premier Member

Please be careful with angled lamps. Not only will this place a huge load in tungsten, halogen and MV lamps, leading to a reduced lifespan, but it can also place light at an unnatural angle toward the eye. This bypasses the developed protection from high light levels with the adaptations to the orbital bone and greatly increases the risk of corneal irritation, burn and infection.

Lamps should be placed directly downwards wherever possible to increase lamp life and reduce the risk of ocular damage.

I cover this in my latest book.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 22-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Please be careful with angled lamps. Not only will this place a huge load in tungsten, halogen and MV lamps, leading to a reduced lifespan, but it can also place light at an unnatural angle toward the eye. This bypasses the developed protection from high light levels with the adaptations to the orbital bone and greatly increases the risk of corneal irritation, burn and infection.

Lamps should be placed directly downwards wherever possible to increase lamp life and reduce the risk of ocular damage.

I cover this in my latest book.

Wish I'd seen this earlier, have already bought it! I actually have your newest book. Can you tell me where you discuss this in the book? Didn't think there would be any issues by angled brackets!

Edit: Found the page. Anyone want to buy a rotating light bracket?

Also, how does placing the bulb at an angle put more strain on the bulb itself? I can't picture how that would be the case

Last edited by Potatatas; 22-07-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Old 23-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Premier Member

Lamps work by passing current into the filament of a lamp. This causes resistance, heat and eventually visible light.

The filament is a thin coil of wire held in a looped cradle. Where the filament touches the cradle are areas of increased resistance.

This increases further due to weight. So, if you have a lamp at an angle you increase load over one or two loops which causes an imbalance in the lamp. Especially when they are already under great stress being used in or over vivs where cooling by ventilation is poor.

We overrun the lamp in simple terms, wearing out points more quickly when at angles.

Not to mention light projected at an angle can present as a risk to the eye.

Reptiles have large orbital sockets to protect them from light coming down over them.

Lamps should always be placed directly above an animal wherever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatatas View Post
Wish I'd seen this earlier, have already bought it! I actually have your newest book. Can you tell me where you discuss this in the book? Didn't think there would be any issues by angled brackets!

Edit: Found the page. Anyone want to buy a rotating light bracket?

Also, how does placing the bulb at an angle put more strain on the bulb itself? I can't picture how that would be the case
Potatatas likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com

Tags
bracket , fitting , light