Surrey pets - Page 6 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Equipment & Supplies

Old 26-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Regular

So they were never going to survive the long term and maybe they just wanted to make a quick buck and people off ......don't see the point myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Regular

Pure speculation but perhaps here is an idea that has been tried and tested many, many times by many people.
You build a very busy web site sell very cheaply.
Run it for quite a while and make little or no profit.
You put others out of business as they cannot sell at similar prices and be able to pay their suppliers, electricity, wages and all the numerous other costs that go hand in hand with running a proper long term business.
Run up a lot of credit with all your suppliers.
If these goods are then sold, even at low prices and then never paid for, whoever sold them keeps all that money
Take a lot of payments for orders and don't despatch them.
Keep all that money.
Not suggesting for one minute this is what has happened but perhaps its food for thought?
LFBP-NEIL, Berber King and manni like this.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Regular

It was pretty obvious they were screwed, (you can't sell stuff stupidly cheap for long without annoying your suppliers) even more so when they pulled that stunt with saying they were no longer going to sell online to make people panic and put in orders, then suddenly, after all that planning and decision making, change their minds after some random strangers on the internet tell them not to do it ...

They screwed up, big time, unfortunately killing off other shops while doing it and have now left a lot of people having to claim through their banks and Paypal because SPS can't refund them.

Idiots, pure and simple. If you want to be the cheapest around have the sense to not be so cheap that you screw yourself and others over in the process. -_- I'm not surprised and I'm not sad to see them go, and no, I don't own a shop.

Last edited by AuntyLizard; 26-06-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Premier Citizen

I believe they already did that in the equestrian market (allegedly).....
LFBP-NEIL and Petersmith like this.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-shadow View Post
It was pretty obvious they were screwed, (you can't sell stuff stupidly cheap for long without annoying your suppliers) even more so when they pulled that stunt with saying they were no longer going to sell online to make people panic and put in orders, then suddenly, after all that planning and decision making, change their minds after some random strangers on the internet tell them not to do it ...

They screwed up, big time, unfortunately killing off other shops while doing it and have now left a lot of people having to claim through their banks and Paypal because SPS can't refund them.

Idiots, pure and simple. If you want to be the cheapest around have the sense to not be so cheap that you screw yourself and others over in the process. -_- I'm not surprised and I'm not sad to see them go, and no, I don't own a shop.
I was going to order from them but like you said with the whole closing the online then a couple of days later opening it back up again just screamed out fishy to me which is why I never bothered ordering from them and on the thread on here loads of people said publicity stunt to which they said no but look whats happened now

I have now used swell and blue lizard which they have both been awesome and I got everything that I paid for
CPT BJ likes this.

Last edited by AuntyLizard; 26-06-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: removing swear word
Old 26-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilzo View Post
I was going to order from them but like you said with the whole closing the online then a couple of days later opening it back up again just screamed out fishy to me which is why I never bothered ordering from them and on the thread on here loads of people said publicity stunt to which they said no but look whats happened now

I have now used swell and blue lizard which they have both been awesome and I got everything that I paid for
It was very dodgy,

SPS - "Oh by the way, after a lot of planning and after looking closely at our business and the future of our shop, we have decided that selling just to local people is more cost effective than selling to the whole UK so we are going to shut down the online selling side of the business."

A few random people - "No please don't do that"

SPS a few days later - "Oh ok, you guys know more about our business than we do so we will keep selling online."

Yeah seems legit -_-

I have bought from Swell before and everything arrived fine, not used Blue Lizard but now I just got to my local shop as they either have what I want there and then or they can order it in quicker than buying online at either the same or cheaper than quite a few online shops. Even the stuff that is more expensive isn't much more and I have no issue paying for it as running an actual shop costs money (I know some of you might be surprised by this but it's true).

It's nice to be able to go to an actual shop, see all their animals, see what's new, have a good natter, get any advice, sort out any equipment issues, have a cup of tea, meet new people, deal with actual human beings not just someone hiding behind a computer ...
Old 26-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-shadow View Post
It was very dodgy,

SPS - "Oh by the way, after a lot of planning and after looking closely at our business and the future of our shop, we have decided that selling just to local people is more cost effective than selling to the whole UK so we are going to shut down the online selling side of the business."

A few random people - "No please don't do that"

SPS a few days later - "Oh ok, you guys know more about our business than we do so we will keep selling online."

Yeah seems legit -_-

I have bought from Swell before and everything arrived fine, not used Blue Lizard but now I just got to my local shop as they either have what I want there and then or they can order it in quicker than buying online at either the same or cheaper than quite a few online shops. Even the stuff that is more expensive isn't much more and I have no issue paying for it as running an actual shop costs money (I know some of you might be surprised by this but it's true).

It's nice to be able to go to an actual shop, see all their animals, see what's new, have a good natter, get any advice, sort out any equipment issues, have a cup of tea, meet new people, deal with actual human beings not just someone hiding behind a computer ...
I know exactly what you mean it was just all a bit weird

Like you I also like to go to a shop to have a nosy but they don't usually have what I want, I am very picking I like to have what I think is best tho my nearest shop that I trust is over an hour away which I don't mind driving but costs more in fuel then ordering online where I can get exactly what I want
Old 26-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilzo View Post
I know exactly what you mean it was just all a bit weird

Like you I also like to go to a shop to have a nosy but they don't usually have what I want, I am very picking I like to have what I think is best tho my nearest shop that I trust is over an hour away which I don't mind driving but costs more in fuel then ordering online where I can get exactly what I want

Ah, yes that's where it's a bit easier for me as they are about a 15 min walk from home or, depending on traffic, about 20 mins by car from work. I'm picky too but they just order me in anything they don't have that I'm after
Old 26-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

I have decided to close this thread. While I understand that people are upset and angry, I think the thread has served it purpose.

Liz
bash_on_recce likes this.

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Closed Thread