Reptile Forums banner

FREE Vivexotic Heat Mat Holder to test!

7K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  GeckoHome 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Here at Vivexotic HQ we've been thinking about the way heat mats are installed in wooden vivariums. We know that heat mats work fantastically well when applied to the underside of a glass terrarium (such as an Exo Terra enclosure) but when applied to the base of a wooden viv they can come unstuck or animals can burrow under them and potentially come to harm. So we've developed a heat mat holder designed to safely and effectively install a heat mat inside your viv. We'd like to hear your opinion of it so if you would like to be a Vivexotic product tester please get in touch. You must have an existing wooden vivarium in which you house desert dwelling species and be willing to fill in an online questionnaire about your experience with this new and unique item. You'll receive the heat mat holder and a new heat mat to use with it - you will need to supply your own thermostat.

If you would like to be involved please send an e-mail to:
marketing-uk@rchagen.com
with your full name, address and information on the vivarium you intend to test it in.

Please note applications are first come first served and we only have a limited amount.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 4 foot vivexotic vivarium and have cypress mulch as bedding. I have put a heat mat inside the tank with a Perspex sheet with small holes drilled into it. It is controlled with a habistat digital thermostat. If this would qualify for the test, I would be happy to test one. I know desert substrates are safe so other types of bedding needs consideration otherwise it will put people of buying your vivs. We nearly did not buy for this reason.

Hope to hear from you soon.: victory:

#5 ·
Hey there, I sent an email off with my information to the above address. Do you still have these available for trial?

#6 ·
Update

Hi guys, just an update for those of you that have registered for this trial and are waiting for your heat mat holders. Really sorry about the delay, the issue isn't with the holders but with the heat mats themselves, we have been out of stock of the required size mat for a few weeks now but we have just received them and we should be getting your holder and mat sent off to you this week.

Thanks for waiting!

#7 ·
Just received my test holder and heat mat by courier. Looking at either putting it in with my Leo or for my Beardies night time heat. Will decide later, after our guests have been to see our new baby girl :)

- John

#10 ·
Think mine came today but I was at work. I've rang TNT to redeliver

#13 ·
Received mine two days ago. Left it sitting on the dining room table turned on (statless) to test for how it copes under failure, given that there's airflow between the mat and top of the holder.
Temperature on the top of the holder was above average, as is to be expected - but it was only just warm to the touch. Quite impressed, honestly. Will have to try it with something fire-resistant sitting on top of it, next time, to see how it copes when insulated.

#16 ·
Hi Neil, thanks for contacting us, we will get back to you shortly with answers to your questions. We started this trial as we wanted feedback from reptile enthusiasts on the idea of a heatmat holder in general and your feedback has been invaluable so far, for everyone that's received one please go ahead and fill in the online questionnaire at the address sent to you, we're looking forward to hearing your honest opinions!

Paul

#17 · (Edited)
I've got this setup in my beardie Viv in the cool end for his nighttime sleeping spot. It has a slate tile sitting on top and the temps here are between 27-30C.
Works great as far as i can tell and no need for a red bulb lighting up my whole room anymore :)
The holder and mat should probably be made so the holder was the same size as the mats so they could stay in the slot beneath the glass and maybe reduce the gap width between mat and glass? And as previously stated, could possibly be made so the mat could be fully enclosed and water tight

- John

#28 ·
I decided not to stick it down (the holder). I have not had too much aspen fall behind it as I have it pushed against the back wall and the probe and heat wire feed out of the back there, so in my case it is very neat. By pushing some bedding at the front the mat it can't move forward. It's going nowhere. Keep the great questions coming!! I think the mat is pretty cool for wooden vivs. :2thumb:

Cheers,

Bryan

#29 ·
I wont be sticking it down either, well not in this Viv anyway as I'm looking at getting a custom unit built next year so i might stick it down in that. As far as I'm concerned, it all works well :thumbs:
If there are any other products for testing I'm up for it lol :D

- John

#30 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Neil, yes your photo is the correct way to install it. And Bryan, yes pushing it to the back wall is recommended to prevent substrate getting underneath it and prevent trailing wires. This has been very useful and has highlighted some deficiencies in our packaging communications which will be addressed immediately, please keep the comments coming!

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.